Fort McMurray Wildfire – Call for Proposals from the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

Dear Researchers,

On May 3rd, 2016, all residents of Fort McMurray, AB were ordered to evacuate the city due to a massive wildfire. This is the largest wildfire evacuation in Canadian history. This fire is expected to result in significant losses for the community of Fort McMurray.

Following the request of the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction, we are writing to inform you that the institute invites proposals under its Quick Response Program, which allows social scientists to quickly deploy to a disaster-affected area in the aftermath of an extreme event to collect perishable data. Candidates who would like to apply for funding through the program must submit a three-page research proposal (maximum) consisting of a title, research question(s), proposed methods as well as a description of how data will be collected under potentially difficult local conditions. This submission must include a budget (limited to travel expenses) and a CV of the applicant(s). It is also the responsibility of the researcher(s) to ensure that they abide by their institution’s research ethics guidelines involving human subjects.

Please consult the following link for more information about the application process: http://www.iclr.org/quickresponse.html. For additional questions and to submit a proposal, please contact Sophie Guilbault of the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction at sguilbault@iclr.org or 416-364-8677 ext. 3217.

Yours sincerely,

Tim Wilson, PhD
Executive Director
| Directeur exécutif
Research Grants and Partnerships Division | Division des subventions de recherche et des partenariats

Research Programs | Programmes de recherche
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
Conseil de recherches en sciences humaines du Canada