SFU Alumni Association Funding Application
The SFU Alumni Association is proud to support activities and programs which benefit alumni, students and the SFU community, and which are consistent with our organization's mission and values. Applications must meet all criteria in order to be considered.
Guidelines for Funding
1. The Alumni Association’s primary target market/audience is our 100,000+ alumni. Accordingly, the Alumni Association will primarily fund projects that inspire, promote and facilitate alumni connection to the university, participation in the university and support of the university. Does your project advance these goals?
2. In order of priority, groups eligible for funding are alumni, graduating students in their final year; students in years 1-3; and university departments/staff. Does your application benefit one of these groups?
3. Funding applications will be considered three times annually. The deadline for application is 4:00 pm on the last Friday of April, September and January. A decision will be made within 6 weeks of the application deadline. Unsuccessful applicants may re-apply in the next funding period.
4. The Alumni Association will fund not more than 50% of the total cost of the initiative, up to a maximum of $2,000.00.
5. Funding amount approved may be reduced depending upon expenses incurred. Funding will not be increased if expenses incurred exceed original estimates.
6. Proposed and confirmed partnerships with other funding organizations must be outlined in the application.
7. Applicants are eligible for no more than one grant per fiscal year (April 1 to March 31).
8. Applications for funding must be submitted annually; no multi-year funding applications will be approved. A successful funding application in one year does not guarantee that future applications will be awarded in subsequent years.
9. Funding will be disbursed after the completion of the project/program/ event and the submission of a brief (2-3 pages) report submitted to the Executive Director, SFU Alumni Association, containing the following information:
- A brief report about the event – attendance, program, venue, etc.
- Final expense statement, documenting all expenses ($ Cdn);
- Business cards and/or chits with alumni information (for database)
- Photographs (ideally electronic) of the event for the web site
- Copies of all promotional materials, program materials, etc, showing recognition of the Alumni Association for their support.
10. After the completion of the event/project/program, funding recipients may be asked to make a presentation about their project to the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
In addition to the funding, here is how the alumni office is able to help:
- Promotion of the event on the web site and e-newsletter
- Provision of business card draw, and prize
- Loan of alumni banners for the evening
- A member of the Alumni Association Board of Directors or Alumni Relations staff will be pleased to speak briefly at your event.