Welcome to SFU.ca.
You have reached this page because we have detected you have a browser that is not supported by our web site and its stylesheets. We are happy to bring you here a text version of the SFU site. It offers you all the site's links and info, but without the graphics.
You may be able to update your browser and take advantage of the full graphical website. This could be done FREE at one of the following links, depending on your computer and operating system.
Or you may simply continue with the text version.

*Windows:*
FireFox (Recommended) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Netscape http://browser.netscape.com
Opera http://www.opera.com/

*Macintosh OSX:*
FireFox (Recommended) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Netscape http://browser.netscape.com
Opera http://www.opera.com/

*Macintosh OS 8.5-9.22:*
The only currently supported browser that we know of is iCAB. This is a free browser to download and try, but there is a cost to purchase it.
http://www.icab.de/index.html
Issues & Experts >  Issues & Experts Archive > Budget, immigration, Bush — Issues and Experts

Budget, immigration, Bush — Issues and Experts

Document Tools

Print This Page

Email This Page

Add to del.icio.us

Font Size
S      M      L      XL

March 29, 2004
No mighty wind of change…SFU associate professor of anthropology and immigration expert Parin Dossa has no faith in federal immigration minister Judy Sgro’s promise of sweeping changes to revamp Canada’s immigration and refugee board. Sgro is drawing up new guidelines to ensure that board appointments are made on the basis of merit, rather than rampant patronage. "The shift from the patronage to the merit system does not address the issue of freeing the refugee hearing process from stifling bureaucracy," says Dossa. She can expand on the conditions under which a merit-based appointment system could work. SFU immigration expert Don DeVortez is in Sweden but can also comment on efforts to improve the workings of Canada’s much maligned immigration and refugee board.


The backlash against Bush…United States President George Bush is getting it from all sides, even on the home front, for instigating last year’s war in Iraq. SFU political scientist, Alexander Moens, an expert on U.S. foreign policy, can comment on former U.S. President Jimmy Carter’s recent criticism of Bush for launching the war in Iraq. Moens can also comment on recent media reports that Bush recently scolded Spain’s new leaders for threatening to withdraw their support of U.S. troops in Iraq. Moens, who recently returned from Washington D.C., says media reports have distorted Bush’s relations with the Spaniards, following the terrorist train bombing that killed hundreds in the European country.