Add another Top Employers award to Simon Fraser University’s growing collection of them. For the fourth consecutive year, Mediacorp Canada Inc. has named SFU one of B.C.’s Top 40 Employers for 2011.
Mediacorp Canada is the nation’s best-selling guide to the companies and organizations that lead their industries in attracting and retaining employees.
Before Christmas, Mediacorp Canada named SFU one of Canada’s 2011 Top 100 Employers for the third year running and one of the nation’s Top 25 family-friendly employers for the second time in three years.
SFU’s total collection of Top Employer awards from Mediacorp Canada has now risen to eight since 2008.
SFU consistently rises to the top for the same reasons. The university’s winning qualities this year are listed in the Feb. 2, 2011 issue of the Vancouver Sun and online at Eluta.ca, a popular job search engine, as the following:
- Generous maternity and parental leave top-up payments for new mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents (to 100% of salary for 37 weeks) and manages an onsite daycare facility which they may take advantage of upon their return
- Additional daycare and a centrally located elementary school
- Employee health benefit coverage during maternity and parental leave as well as the option to extend their leave into an unpaid leave of absence
- Generous employee tuition subsidy -- with no annual maximum -- for many courses taken at the university
- Attractive living options as part of the UniverCity development project, which surrounds the campus and is one of the most innovative and progressive urban development projects in North America
- Free employee memberships to a state-of-the-art fitness facility, which include a complete range of instructor-led fitness classes and access to challenging mountain biking trails
- Financial support through pension plans and a health benefits plan that extends through retirement, with no age limit
The selection criteria in each type of Top Employers award competition are the same. They are as follows: physical workplace; work and social atmosphere; health, financial and family benefits; vacation and time off; employee communications; performance management; training and skills development; and community involvement.
The Globe and Mail newspaper has described Mediacorp Canada’s lists of top employers as instant bibles for human resources professionals and job seekers.
— 30 —