Requesting A Correction To Your Personal Information In University Records

If you believe there is an error or omission in your personal information contained in University records you may, under Section 29 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, request correction of the information. The University's procedure for making such a request is outlined below.
Make your request for correction to the head of the department or office which has custody and control of your personal information.

If after making your request for correction you are not satisfied with the department's response you may re-submit your request in writing (i.e. by signed letter or memo) to the Information and Privacy Coordinator, Archives and Records Management Department.  Requests for correction received by email will not be accepted.

Your request must contain a description of the information to be corrected, the location of the information (i.e. the University department or office that has custody and control of the records containing your personal information), the correction you want made and the reasons for the correction.

The University will then process your request and determine if the correction will be made.  Once the University has reached a decision you will be notified in writing that either the correction has been made or your request has been denied.

If your request for correction is approved the University will delete the original, incorrect information and replace it with the correct information that you requested.

If your request for correction is denied the University will annotate the information with the correction that you requested as opposed to actually correcting the information (i.e. the original information will remain on the record).

Please note that requests for correction can only be made with respect to factual personal information.  For instance, opinions about you such as evaluative comments or assessments are personal information but are not facts about you.  It is not possible to correct or annotate opinions.  Such requests will not be processed as formal requests for correction of personal information. If you disagree with an evaluation or assessment you may speak with the evaluator about it or write a letter to the head of the department or office responsible for the information disputing the evaluation or assessment.