Negotiating a Donation Agreement
A Donation Agreement documents your expectations as a donor and the obligations of SFU Archives in preserving your records as well as legally transferring ownership of your records to Simon Fraser University. We ask all donors to sign a Donation Agreement, even if your donation is small in size or not monetarily valuable. Particulars of the Agreement are negotiated between you and SFU Archives, including:
- Do you want to place time-limited, public access restrictions on some of the records because they contain sensitive personal information?
- Do you want to retain copyright in the records you authored or would you like to assign copyright ownership to SFU Archives?
- Do you want to gift the records to SFU Archives (i.e. donate them without receiving any financial consideration) or do you want a tax receipt in return for your donation? SFU Archives does not purchase records.
- Do you want any material we decide not to preserve permanently returned to you or confidentially destroyed? If the former, we ask that you make arrangements to pick up the materials we decide not to keep.
- Do you want to make additional donations over time? If yes, how frequently (e.g. once every 5 years)?