- News & Events
- Student Life
- Programs in French
Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French
B.C. Ministry of Education Bursary
We are pleased to announce that for the period of 2019-2020, the B.C. Ministry of Education has mandated Simon Fraser University's (SFU) Office of Francophone and Francophile Affairs (OFFA) to manage the “Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French.”
Description of the Bursary
- This bursary is intended for students undertaking full-time studies at Simon Fraser University (SFU) in a program taught primarily in French.
- The bursary is applicable only to cover tuition fees and not applicable to student service fees.
- The following programs are eligible:
- Doctorate (PhD)
- Students completing the Professional Development Program (French module) or courses or programs intended for in-service teachers are not eligible. Please refer to the “Bursary for Pre-service Teachers” or “Teachers – University Courses in French”).
- The bursary is up to $625 per term, to a maximum of $1,250 per year, and is capped at $5,000 per student
- This bursary may be combined with other sources of funding (except for a tuition waiver of 100%)
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency
- Have resided in British Columbia for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of studies
- Be enrolled as a full-time student:
- Undergraduate: a minimum of 3 courses per term (9 units)
- Graduate: be enrolled in a full-time graduate studies program
- Must not receive a tuition waiver covering 100% of tuition fees
- Courses must be offered at SFU or as part of a formal exchange program where tuition fees are paid to SFU and not the host institution
- The courses must be taught primarily in French:
- At least 55% of the courses in which the student is enrolled for the term in question must be taught in French
- The term must be completed. If for any reason, the student withdraws during the term, SFU reserves the right to demand reimbursement of the amounts paid.
- Complete the online bursary form during the application period
- Complete an application for each term (Fall and Spring terms only)
Bursary Application Period
|Fall 2019||September 16-30, 2019
|Spring 2020||January 13-27, 2020|
- Bursaries will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are allocated
- Applicants will be notified via email if they have been awarded the bursary or not depending on the funds available
- Payments will be made directly to SFU student accounts
- Payments will be made according to the following schedule:
|Fall 2019||Early December 2019|
|Spring 2020||Early March 2020|
ATTENTION: *These dates are subject to change.
Please consult this webpage regularly for updated information.
- The bursary is a taxable benefit (T4A forms will be available on the SFU student account).
For more information about the bursary, please contact us: email@example.com.
This bursary is made possible with the participation of the Government of Canada and the Ministry of Education of British Columbia.