Friday, Dec. 15, 11:30 AM (large seminar room)
Final stages of cytokinesis in amoeba:
Does biology lose control?
We discuss some basic scaling laws in the the final
stage of cell division of Dictyostelium discoidium and Entamoeba Invadens,
describing the action of motors during cytokinesis. Various regimes
are presented, and the effects of mutation and defects are surveyed.
The appearance of collective behavior as a remedy for defective division
- Coming Soon... Dave Boal's new
book on Biophysics...theatres, oops, bookstores near you. Will post
the details later.
- Check out this article "DNA-Inspired
Electrostatics" in Physics Today September,
2000 issue. The article is very well written, and it cites one of our
people Dr.Bae-Yeun Ha's work as a major contribution to this
field. The topic itself is very interesting as well.
- Barbara Frisken is on sabbatical at Harvard starting this Fall
2000, Tuesdays @ 11:25 AM, Physics Seminar Room
- Tuesday, October 3
- Speaker: Dr.Anirban Sain (SFU)
- Title: "Dynamics of rupture of a weak bond, pulled onto by a
force, applied through a polymer"
- Tuesday, October 10
- Speaker: Dr.Martin Howard (SFU)
- Title: "How does E. Coli ensure that cell division occurs precisely
at its midpoint?"
- Tuesday, October 17
- Speaker: Dr.Martin Zuckerman (McGill, SFU)
- Title: "Lipid-Cholesterol Bilayers: A Minimal Model for Phase
Behavior, Tracer Diffusion, Sterol Evolution and perhaps Rupture"
- Tuesday, October 24
- Speaker: Luc Fournier (University of Ottawa)
- Title: "A lattice Model for the kinetics
of membrane rupture"
- Tuesday, October 31
- Speaker: Vahid Shahrezaei (SFU)
- Title: "Role of inter-monomer interactions
and geometry in choosing protein native"
- Tuesday, November 7
- Speaker: Gerald Lim(and Prof. Mike Wortis)
- Title: "Three-dimensional simulation of
the stomatocyte <-> discocyte <-> echinocyte transformation of red blood
- Tuesday, November 14
- Speaker: Christoph Hebeisen (SFU)
- Title: Scanning Probe Microscopy in Biophysics
- Tuesday, November 21
- Speaker: Dr.Bae-Yeun Ha (SFU)
- Title: Multivalent cations and biomembrane stability
- Tuesday, November 28
- Speaker: Suckjoon Jun (SFU)
- Title: Kinetic Model Approach to DNA Replication
- Tuesday, December 5
- Speaker: Dr. John Bechhoefer
- Title: Listen up! A new model for hearing