Muslim Studies Graduate Student Travel Award
Terms of Reference
1. The Muslim Studies Graduate Student Award is supported by the Dossa Endowment Fund. It supports a graduate student award for a student in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences who has undertaken research on Muslim societies and cultures. To be eligible for this award, students must be enrolled in a master’s or doctoral thesis program in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
2. The award, currently valued at $2,000, will normally be held in the summer term. If a successful applicant is not identified, the award will be advertised in the next award cycle in a given academic year.
3. The criteria for this award are:
a) full-time registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program;
b) completion of at least one semester in a graduate program in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences;
c) a program which requires travel abroad to undertake research on some aspect of a Muslim society or culture.
4. This award may be held in any semester in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies, where permitted by those agencies.
5. Application must be made through the Graduate Awards and Application System and must be accompanied by:
a) supporting evidence of the need for research abroad for the applicant’s research.
b) current, unofficial SFU transcript and a research proposal concerned with Muslim societies and cultures
c) a letter from the student’s supervisor attesting to the quality of the applicant
6. The completed application and all supporting documentation must be received by The Dean of Graduate Studies, gradawards.sfu.ca by January 31, 2018.
7. The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies, on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, upon the recommendation of the Chair of the Steering Committee, Centre for the Comparative Study of Muslim Societies and Cultures, Department of History.
For more information on these awards and to download the application form, visit the website of the Dean of Graduate Studies:http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/scholarships_and_awards/internal_awards/