RESEARCH ASSISTANT: Application Deadline: September 7, 2017
Reporting to the Centre Director and working alongside the Program Assistant, the Research Assistant is the front line contact person for the Middle East and Islamic Consortium – British Columbia and is responsible for producing the weekly (MEICON-BC) online digest for the Centre, monitoring MEICON-BC email requests, as well as serving as liaison for the bi-annual student conference. Duties also include assistance with academic content for website and newsletter, using social media to promote Centre activities, and research on projects. The nature of the work is independent, but the Centre Director provides guidance, training, and instructions to the RA.
The preferred candidate must be currently enrolled as an SFU graduate student or fourth year undergraduate. The candidate should have an academic interest in the study of Muslim societies and cultures. The candidate should have excellent English language, oral and written skills (other relevant languages are an asset), research, interpersonal, and intercultural skills, ability to use databases, web browsers, applications, and electronic mail (e.g. Word, Excel, FileMaker, AEM web, Facebook, Twitter and email), and ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and exercise mature judgement and initiative.
Tasks of Research Assistant
- Monitors and responds to MEICON-BC email
- Updates and organizes MEICON-BC email accounts
- Serves as liaison for annual MEICON Student Conference.
- Researches, compiles, formats content information for MEICON-BC online digest
- Assists in updating and maintaining listservs and databases
- Assists as graduate facilitator of the International Summer Program
- Assists as graduate liaison of CCSMSC sponsored events
- Writes research summaries for lectures and workshops
- Assists in updating Centre Activity List
- Assists in Newsletter, website and social media
- Assists with research projects for the Director
Duration: September 15, 2017 to December 15, 2017 (possibility of renewal)
Salary: $20-$22 an hour, depending on qualifications
Time: 8-10 hours a week
Eligibility: Enrolled SFU graduate student or fourth year undergraduate student
Apply to the Director firstname.lastname@example.org with cover letter, transcript, and resume by September 7, 2017.
This position is a temporary contract position.