- About us
- Get involved
- Programs & events
- Volunteer Training Program
Blog & News
- 6 Tips You Should Know Before Your Next Virtual Interview
- My co-op experience with the SFU Surrey - TD Community Engagement Centre
- Doggy Bloggy
- As we come to the end of 2020, we want to say Thank You!
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
- Community Matters - How Jaskaran’s community building project led him to the CEC’s Bridge Program
- Need Fresh Groceries? Why not come to the “SFU Food Hub” at Burnaby?
- How volunteering has helped a new transfer student open a door of possibilities
- Meet the SFU Director of Global Engagement: Gretchen Ferguson
- How are YOU going to make the most of your university experience at SFU?
- Engaging with the youth through virtual mentoring
- From volunteering to working as a program coordinator
- Why you should volunteer with Racing Readers?
- SFU Ssudent Surbhi Ratti helps spearhead Food Rescue initiative
- Newcomer SFU student volunteers with language instruction for newcomers to Canada Program!
- Meet the winner of the SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition: Saba Fatemi
- When COVID closes a door, it opens a Zoom call
- 5 Reasons why you should volunteer at Media Minds – from the perspective of an aspiring high school teacher
- Meet our champion SFU volunteer: Jennifer An
- An inspiring volunteer experience
- In the news
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
Why You should Volunteer with Racing Readers?
By Ramat Abdulrazaq
Have you ever had a burning desire to engage with children? Do you love sharing fun and enjoyable moments with kids? Are you seeking for a career in working with children? If yes, then you have come to the right place.
Jordan Jacob, a second year Behavioural Neurosciences major in the faculty of Health science, shares her story as a volunteer with Racing Readers. She is a member of SFU track athlete team and a sprinter. She engages in 100m, 200m and 400m. She loves and enjoys working with children and plans to work with them in the future.
Why Racing Readers?
From Jordan’s past experience with summer camping, she knew she loved working with children. Her goal, as of now, is to become a doctor who specializes in pediatrics and neurological development. As soon as she saw the opportunity knock at her door (through email), she knew immediately this is something she wanted to do. She saw it as an opportunity to combine both her passion of working with children and even track and field, which she never expected.
How did Jordan combine her passions into one goal?
Jordan shares an exciting time for her when she was entrusted with a responsibility of creating a program that can improve the children physical literacy skills. She says as an SFU athlete and through prior years of engaging with the sport, she has had tons of coaching opportunities specifically with youth and children. Therefore, she used her past skills and experiences to create a video for the kids where she led them through drills and exercises relating specifically to sprinting and track and field.
Jordan’s thoughts on developing a physical activity program.
It definitely showed Jordan the challenges and difficulties that come into play when trying to change the curriculum to an online format compared to face to face. She definitely felt silly talking to herself while videoing the exercises in comparison to coaching a class in person! However, one must realize that while it may feel awkward and silly in the moment, you want to make it fun and engaging. This way children want to participate and follow along with you. She believes this will definitely help her with future endeavors.
How has Racing Readers impacted Jordan?
Jordan says she is glad to have experience with Racing Readers despite the negative impacts Covid-19 has had on the world. This is because she and her other SFU members were able to create a safe space for the children where they could learn and have fun. For a small portion of the day we get to reduce any of the stressors or difficulties the kids were going through. Being able to know that we are positively impacting their lives in such a difficult time, was an invaluable experience in itself.
Thinking about Racing Readers now?
Click here for more information!!
Be ready to transform your life into an incredible new and take your experiences to a greater height with Racing Readers! Have fun with your experience!!