- Program Leads
- About us
- Get involved
Programs & events
- English Language Support Program (in-person)
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support (in-person)
- Book Buddies (in-person)
- Bridge Program (in-person)
- Central City Learning Garden (on-site)
- Connect Through Homework & Reading (in-person)
- English Conversation Groups (virtual)
- Entrepreneurship Programs
- Homework Club
- Learning Buddies (virtual & in-person)
- Mentoring with Math (virtual & in-person)
- Our Place Summer Camp
- Pathways to Education
- Racing Readers
- YMCA Youth Leadership Development Program
- Canada SCORES (in-person)
- Empower MEdia (in-person)
- Let's Do Breakfast (in-person)
- Photo gallery
- Featured Reads
- Volunteer Info Hub
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
English Language Support Program (in-person)
Helping newcomer children practice English in a fun and creative atmosphere.
English Language Support (CommuniCreate) is a free and inclusive after-school program through which children in grades 4-7 who are new to Canada from Ukraine can get involved in their communities, feel a sense of belonging and improve their English through a fun and engaging child-centered curriculum.
Each week, participants will work in small groups with a volunteer mentor from Simon Fraser University who will support them through fun activities focusing on language acquisition. Each session will be centered around a theme and set of vocabulary related to the theme. Volunteers will work with their groups to learn the new vocabulary, engage in interactive games, and practice reading and writing. Activities will be both team-based an individual, which will encourage social connection and develop interpersonal skills along with English proficiency. Over the 8 sessions, participants will improve their English language and communication skills in a safe and enjoyable environment where they will be encouraged and supported to connect with others, express their creativity, and build confidence.
This program will be delivered over three 8-week iterations after-school from May 9 - June 27, 2023 (FULL), October 17 - December 5, 2023 (ACCEPTING) and January 23 - March 12, 2024.
When? Sessions will run every Saturday from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Where? In-person at the Surrey City Centre Library, located at 10350 University Dr, Surrey, BC V3T 4B8
Who is this program for? This program is open to children ages 9 to 12 who are new to Canada from Ukraine, displaced by the war.
How to Register:
The Summer iteration of this program is now full. To join our Fall 2023 iteration, please click the 'Register Now' button below.
Please note, registration priority is given to Surrey residents, however, eligible children from other cities may also apply, and will be invited to join the program if space is available.
Ways to get involved
- Apply for current volunteer/work positions
- Join the Community Engagement Volunteer training program
- Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in our programs & events?
- Check out our active programs & events
- Email us at email@example.com for more information
Partner with us:
- For partnership, please contact Rachel Nelson or call 778.782.8082
F T I