- About us
- Get involved
Programs & events
- BC Newcomer After-School Programs (virtual & on-site)
- Bridge Program
- Can You Dig It (virtual & on-site)
- Central City Learning Garden (on-site)
- CommuniCreate (virtual)
- Connect Through Homework & Reading (virtual)
- Digital Literacy and Access (virtual & on-site)
- DIVERSEYouth Expressions (virtual)
- DY Youth Mentoring Cafes (virtual)
- English Conversation Groups (virtual)
- Farm to Campus Initiative (on-site)
- Food Hampers (on-site)
- Food Recovery (on-site)
- Kids Brain Health Network (virtual)
- Learning Buddies (virtual-summer only)
- LINC Language for Newcomers (virtual)
- Media Minds (virtual)
- Mentoring with Math (virtual)
- Racing Readers (virtual)
- Red Fox Youth Cafes (virtual)
- Science Alive (virtual-summer only)
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support (virtual)
- Y Mind - Youth Mindfulness Program
- Suspended programs
- Active programs
- Volunteer Training Program
- Blog & News
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
Connect Through Homework & Reading (virtual)
The SFU Surrey–TD Community Engagement Centre is working with the Surrey School District (SD36) Welcome Centre to offer support and mentorship to English Language Learners in elementary and high school.
Connect through Homework offers mentoring and homework support to young English Language Learners in grades 8–10. Themes addressed in the program include: making peer connections; understanding settlement, self and others; self-image, stereotypes and social skills; communication, conflict, and care; staying safe in school and community; working, volunteering, and connecting in community.
Connect through Reading supports English Language Learners in grades 5–7 with their transition into secondary school by providing mentoring through reading support. Themes addressed in the program include: how to make the best of your high school experience; staying safe and healthy in school and community; working, volunteering and connecting in community; and developing an understanding of school and community.
Both programs are being offered virtually for Fall 2020, in response to COVID-19.
Are you an SFU student interested in volunteering for this program?
Contact Trisha Dulku at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
- Apply for current volunteer/work positions
- Join the Community Engagement Volunteer training program
- Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Email us at: email@example.com
Interested in our programs & events?
Partner with us:
- For partnership, please contact Trisha Dulku or call 604-715-6457