- About us
- Get involved
Programs & events
- BC Newcomer After-School Programs (virtual & on-site)
- Bridge Program
- Can You Dig It (virtual & on-site)
- Central City Learning Garden (on-site)
- CommuniCreate (virtual)
- Connect Through Homework & Reading (virtual)
- Digital Literacy and Access (virtual & on-site)
- DIVERSEYouth Expressions (virtual)
- DY Youth Mentoring Cafes (virtual)
- English Conversation Groups (virtual)
- Farm to Campus Initiative (on-site)
- Food Hampers (on-site)
- Food Recovery (on-site)
- Kids Brain Health Network (virtual)
- Learning Buddies (virtual-summer only)
- LINC Language for Newcomers (virtual)
- Media Minds (virtual)
- Mentoring with Math (virtual)
- Racing Readers (virtual)
- Red Fox Youth Cafes (virtual)
- Science Alive (virtual-summer only)
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support (virtual)
- Y Mind - Youth Mindfulness Program
- Suspended programs
- Active programs
- Volunteer Training Program
- Blog & News
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
Tutoring, Homework and English Support (virtual)
In partnership with the Friends of Simon Tutoring Project and the City Centre Library, The SFU Surrey - TD Community Engagement Centre provides a no-cost tutoring outreach program targeted towards immigrant and refugee children in grades 5-9. This program is open to students who have immigrated to Canada, and to students who may have been born in Canada but whose parents/guardians have immigrated to Canada. The students must be in grades 5-9.
Friends of Simon tutors are highly trained and qualified SFU students who speak a variety of second languages including French, Tagalog, Spanish, Romanian, Punjabi, and Czech.
Their tutoring expertise includes the following subject areas:
- Social Studies
- and more!
The program is currently being offered virtually through Zoom technology due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program is offered on Mondays and Thursdays afternoons from 4-5:45 p.m.
Students can register for either Monday sessions OR Thursday sessions, NOT BOTH. This is to give everyone a fair chance to work with the tutors.
In-person program info (currently suspended)
The program begins in October and runs through to the beginning of June.
There will be two intakes for the program. Registration for October-January 31st will open in early September, and registration for February-June will open in early January.
To register, visit the City Centre Library (10350 University Drive, Surrey BC) and talk to the Information Desk staff on the first floor.
*PLEASE NOTE: By signing up you are making a commitment to attend tutoring on the dates and at the times you specify. If you have registered and can no longer attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours prior to your session to let us know that you are no longer able to attend. Students who register but who do not attend and who do not provide adequate notice may be prevented from registering in any future sessions.
Questions? Email email@example.com
- Apply for current volunteer/work positions
- Join the Community Engagement Volunteer training program
- Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in our programs & events?
Partner with us:
- For partnership, please contact Trisha Dulku or call 604-715-6457