- Contact us
- Chancellor's Office
- Pipe Band
- Events Network
COVID-19 Information for Event Planners
Simon Fraser University continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation and we are committed to protecting our students, faculty, staff and community. The University follows the advice of national and provincial public health authorities.
The most recent information on SFU's response to COVID-19 can be found on the FAQs page.
Following the province’s move to phase 3, SFU has moved to the High, H2 phase of our COVID-19 Impact Scale.
At this time, limited one-time, small, essential in-person meetings, events, or ceremonies (faculty and staff only) with an approved safety plan are allowed with the following restrictions:
- If your meeting is less than 6 people on campus and occurs in a space covered by your department(s) local safety plan, you may go ahead following the safety plan.
- If your meeting or event will involve 6 or more people, you may need to get approval from your supervisor.
- Refer to the Guidance and Application For In-Person Meetings Or Events for more information.
- Only a limited number of SFU spaces/buildings are currently approved for use and may be requested by contacting Meeting, Event and Conference Services (MECS)
- MECS will be available to provide support for these limited internal in-person gatherings at SFU
- IT Services support may be limited at the university.
- If the in-person meeting, event, or ceremony is being held off campus, the gathering must still comply with the SFU COVID-19 Guidance on Safe Work on Campus and follow the application procedure outlined in the Guidance and Application For In-Person Meetings Or Events.
- Not sure if you require approval? This decision tree will help you assess your event.
- A full safety plan will need to be prepared by the event organizer/host in order to ensure the necessary event safety protocols and risk mitigation strategies are followed. If you are planning a meeting, please follow the checklist (Appendix A) in the Guidance and Application For In-Person Meetings Or Events. If you are planning a more elaborate event, please contact MECS and refer to our COVID-19 In-Person Events Checklist.
NOTE: If a second wave of COVID-19 occurs, SFU may move to a higher rating and thus there is a possibility that the university would revert back to no in-person gatherings of any kind.