SELECTING YOUR SUPERVISORY COMMITTEE
Department Regulations require that your committee be formed within the first term of your graduate program, consistent with a clear definition of your research interests. A well-balanced committee should have members that complement each other with respect to their experience and areas of expertise. Consult with your Senior Supervisor to consider faculty members who may be available to sit on your Committee.
As soon as you and your Senior Supervisor have established the members of your Committee, please email their names to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) so I may prepare the appropriate form and notify the Dean of Graduate Studies of the make up of your Committee.
FIRST SUPERVISORY COMMITTEE
The first Supervisory Committee Meeting should be booked by the end of week 4 of the second term. Note: The meeting can take place any time during the second term but it should be booked by week 4 of the second term. The first supervisory meeting will include a 20-25 minute presentation by the student on a research topic. The meeting will be open to the public and the graduate secretary will advertise the meeting to the department. The presentation will be followed by a question/answer period.
SCHEDULING YOUR SUPERVISORY COMMITTEE
Requests to schedule a meeting with members of your Supervisory Committee are to be submitted to me via email no later than 14 days prior to the proposed date of the committee meeting. Respecting the 14-day lead time will increase the likelihood that a meeting room and AV equipment will be readily available for the date and time you desire. Planning ahead will also ease the time constraints faced by you and your committee members.
Dean of Graduate Studies' regulations governing Graduate Students' Supervisory Committees can be found at the following link to the SFU Academic Calendar, General Regulations, Section 1.6 Supervision
Procedure to schedule your supervisory committee meetings
- Contact the Graduate Secretary via email to schedule a committee meeting. Please indicate if this will be your first supervisory committee meeting.
- A room will be booked for you and AV equipment reserved, if you have requested the use of it. An email will be sent to you confirming the arrangements (date, time, location, etc.) with a copy of your Annual Progress Report form. Review the form and fill-in or update any information (completion date, thesis title, courses, publication, honors, etc.). Please return the form by email on or before the set deadline in the email. It is your responsibility to ensure all of your committee members are reminded of the meeting.
- It is your responsibility to ensure all of your committee members are reminded of the meeting.
- The Supervisory Committee Assessment of Student Progress form and unofficial transcript will be in your mailbox. You are to give the form to your senior supervisor at the beginning of the meeting. At the end of the meeting you and all members of your committee and are to sign the form; return the signed form to the Graduate Secretary.
- When all committee members have approved your ANNUAL PROGRESS REPORT, a copy will be placed in your mailbox for your personal file.
The Department strongly suggests that you enter a reminder in Connect (or other electronic device) for ten months from the date of your meeting -- as a reminder to begin preparations for the next meeting with your committee.