What are the admission requirements for high school or college/university transfer students?

For direct admission to the Chemistry program, all students must meet SFU's general admission requirements and the Faculty of Science's admission requirements. Visit SFU Admissions for more information.

I have been admitted to SFU as a student in another Faculty or Program. Can I transfer to the Chemistry program?

Students wishing to transfer into the Chemistry program are welcome to do so at any point during their undergraduate career. See the Undergraduate Programs section on this page for more information.

return to top

Course Enrollment

I'm trying to enroll in a Chemistry course but it says I don't meet the prerequisites. Why can't I enroll? 

A minimum grade of C- is required in all prerequisite courses.

For CHEM 110 or 111, the prerequisite is high school Mathematics 12. Transfer students who took an equivalent course in high school should submit a copy of their high school transcript to SFU Admissions to have MATH X12 added to their student record. Students without high school Mathematics 12 must take MATH 100 as a co-requisite. Please note: students who have taken the equivalent of Chemistry 12 in high school cannot take CHEM 110 or 111 for further credit.

For CHEM 121, the prerequisite is high school Chemistry 12, or CHEM 111. Transfer students who took an equivalent course in high school can submit a copy of their high school transcript to SFU Admissions to have CHEM X12 added to their student record.

I'm on the waitlist for a Chemistry course even though it shows me that there's space in the class. Why can't I enroll?

There must be space in all of the lecture, tutorial, and laboratory sections selected for a given course. If either the tutorial or laboratory section selected is full, the student will automatically be placed on the waitlist in the highest waitlist position for the full section. Students should enroll in sections with space to ensure their spot in the class.

The waitlist process runs multiple times per day to move waitlisted students into any open seats of the sections they have selected. If a student is not being moved in from the waitlist even though all the sections they've selected have space, it's possible that a time conflict exists which prevents the student from being moved in from the waitlist. Students should check their course schedule for any exam or course conflicts preventing them from enrolling in the course.

I need permission to repeat a Chemistry course again.

Students should email the Undergraduate Advisor <> with a brief summary explaining why they were unsuccessful in their previous attempts and also include an outline of how they plan to do well in the course if allowed the third attempt. Students who have declared a Major in a subject other than Chemistry should also contact their program advisor.

return to top

Undergraduate Programs

What programs are available with the Department of Chemistry?

The Chemistry Department offers Major and Honours programs leading to a B.Sc. in Chemistry. We also have Joint Major and Honours programs with Earth Sciences and with Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. Students with an interest in Chemistry and Physics may want to consider completing a Chemical Physics Major or Honours.

Minor programs are also available in Chemistry, Nuclear Science, and Environmental Chemistry.

Visit the Chemistry Degree Programs page on our website for more detail.

What are the minimum requirements for declaring a Major in Chemistry?

Completion of at least 20 units in Chemistry, Math, and Physics with a cumulative Science GPA of at least 2.20.

Suggested courses include: CHEM 121-4, CHEM 122-2, CHEM 126-2, CHEM 215-4, CHEM 281-4, MATH 151-3 (or MATH 150-4), and PHYS 120-3.

How do I declare a Major in Chemistry?

Students who meet the minimum requirements listed above should contact the Undergraduate Advisor <> or visit the Advisor during drop-in advising. Any questions about eligibility can also be directed to the Undergraduate Advisor.

Do I need to maintain a specific GPA to stay in the Chemistry program?

Students who are admitted into the Chemistry Major program in Fall 2015 or later must maintain a cumulative Science GPA of 2.20 to remain in the Major program. Science cGPAs will be assessed after completion of a minimum of 20 units in Chemistry, Math, and Physics (usually after two terms). Chemistry Majors who fall below the minimum required Science cGPA will be contacted by the Undergraduate Advisor.

Note: the continuance GPA does not apply to students in Minor programs or Joint Major programs.

What happens if I cannot maintain the minimum Science cGPA to stay in the Chemistry program?

Chemistry Majors whose cumulative Science GPA falls below 2.20 after completion of a minimum of 20 units in CHEM, MATH, and PHYS will be contacted by the Undergraduate Advisor. If you believe you will not meet the GPA requirement and would like to discuss alternative program options, please make an appointment to meet with the Advisor.

return to top


I plan to graduate in the next term or two, should I meet with an Advisor?

Yes! It is highly recommended that you meet with the Undergraduate Advisor at some point in your last year to review graduation requirements. To meet with the Advisor, please schedule an advising appointment.

When and how do I apply to graduate?

The earliest students can apply to graduate is on the first day of classes in their graduating term. Visit for graduation application/cancellation dates.

Graduation applications are completed in SIS (Student Information System). Visit for more information.

How do I know whether I've graduated?

Senate meets in early September, Feburary, and May to evaluate all graduation applications from the previous term. Students can expect a letter awarding their degree shortly thereafter.

return to top