- We celebrate the wonder of childhood.
- Our childcare community emanates joy and hope through our work and relationships.
- We care about the whole health of our childcare community.
- We understand that optimal well being and joy includes work and family life balance that also ensures attention to psychological, physical, emotional, environmental and spiritual health.
Our early learning and care community works together in an effort to acknowledge and celebrate each other’s role and expertise.
- We believe in the importance of developing good relationships.
- We believe that trust is the foundation of every relationship. Building trust takes time and mutual respect.
- Open and effective communication that values diversity and beliefs is the key to building trust in our relationships.
- When we honor children through loving, respectful and nurturing relationships, children will explore their capacities as friends, problem solvers and critical thinkers and become kind, compassionate members of society.
- We support children by providing opportunities where they can try, make mistakes, succeed and be proud of their achievements.
- We empower children through the opportunity to be heard, seen and believed. They have the freedom to safely express, explore, combine and extend what they have learned and engaged in to develop individual interests, talents and ongoing abilities.
EXPLORATION AND EXPERIENCE
- We believe that children are active, curious, and capable individuals and that they learn best through play. Play provides children with opportunities to explore, to have various experiences and to be creative. Play allows children to build and expand on their developing skills and knowledge.
- We recognize that our natural surroundings are great resources for learning. We see nature as a great place for all to explore, to satisfy natural curiosity about ourselves and the world we live in. Finally we want all to understand that we have an important role in caring for our world.
We believe in the value of effective communicators who:
- Recognize the value of personal opinions and those of others.
- Appreciate the importance of the decision making process in achieving sound decisions.
- Encourage open communication evaluating input and giving feedback in a respectful manner.
- Provide choices to enhance collaborative decision making.
- Are to be proactive, assertive and action-orientated.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Communicate in a direct, honest manner with diplomacy and tact.
- Work to achieve goals without compromising others.
In light of the opportunity that we have been given to work with the children, families and colleagues at SFUCCS, we take responsibility to commit to excellence in Early Learning and Care.
- We achieve this by promoting and nurturing the growth and development of each child and by embracing innovation and change.
- On an ongoing basis we are responsible for continued personal and professional growth with full engagement in the SFUCCS community.
- We are responsible to advocate for families and children in the broader community.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND INTEGRITY
- We adhere to the Early Childhood Educators of BC Code of Ethics.
- We are professional and compassionate in the understanding that the children of SFUCCS represent our hope for the future.
- In all our interactions we display accountability and integrity with the best interests of the children as our guide. Therefore we strive for an ethical, open, direct and honest community.
- We encourage each other in building trust and receiving and giving respectful and constructive feedback.
- We see children as competent and capable individuals deserving of respect. We acknowledge their feelings, see things from their perspective and provide settings that are nurturing and supportive.
- We work together as staff, parents, and families for the best interest of our children.
- We respect the diversity of beliefs, cultural practices and draw on families’ strengths and knowledge.
- We see the invaluable role and experiences that staff brings to the Society.
- We respect staff by encouraging collaboration and participation in discussions.
- We see staff as professionals who make decisions that are ethical, responsible and always in the best interest of the children.
Burnaby Campus is
Campus roads are
For more details:
SFU Road Conditions.