- Current Students
- Community & Events
- Careers & Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Login
How to Apply | Master of Arts
Step 1: Admission Requirements
School of Communication requirements:
- a bachelor’s degree in Communication or an equivalent degree in a social sciences or humanities program.
- acceptance to the program is based on the School’s Graduate Program Committee ability to find a suitable thesis supervisor.
- students with undergraduate degrees in disciplines other than communication may be required to take up to two additional courses to complete their MA.
- For applicants whose primary language is not English, a satisfactory score on a standardized English test acceptable to the University. See here for SFU's English language requirements for graduate programs.
Next Admission Deadline:
Applications for Fall 2021 is closed
Step 2: Apply Online
Submit Online Application
Complete the online application form and upload the following documents to the online application portal:
1. A statement of interest (1500–2000 words). Please include:
- Academic and personal background
- Research objectives (research questions, potential research methods, scholarly and/or practical significance, and bibliographic references)
- How your background and objectives fit with the school and potential research supervisors.
2. A concise abstract (up to 250 words) describing your research area, including 5 key words.
Note: the abstract should be entered in the space provided under the "research" tab of the online application form.
3. Two samples of scholarly writing, research reports, or other material.
4. Resume or academic CV.
5. References from three persons (at least two of whom should be familiar with the applicant’s academic work).
*For applicants whose primary language is not English, a satisfactory score on a standardized English test acceptable to the University (SFU's Graduate English language requirements).
Submit official transcripts
Hard copies of original official transcripts for all post-secondary degrees should be mailed to:
SFU Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies
Maggie Benston Centre 1100
8888 University Drive
Canada V5A 1S6
If your institution provides official transcripts electronically, please have them emailed directly to email@example.com.
Step 3: Pay the Application Fee
CDN $90 for students with Canadian transcripts
CDN $125 for students with international transcripts
The full application fee is due in 7 days after your application is submitted and your application will not be considered until the full payment has been received.
Step 4: Submit Your Application and Monitor Results
After you submit your application, you will receive an application number which you can use to log on and review your application status.
Students will normally be expected to enter the program in the fall semester of the year they apply.