- Faculty and Staff Portal
- Contact Us
First Year Experience
Getting the hang of it
First Year Experience Mentorship Program
The School of Communication First Year Experience Mentorship program aims to provide a positive experience for incoming students transitioning into their first year at SFU.
All incoming Communication first year students will be placed into groups of 10-12 students and connected with a current student volunteer mentor. Mentors help welcome new students, connect them to people and resources, and make their first year experience a great one!
- Support | Get support & your questions answered from a fellow student who’s been through it before
- Connections | Make friends and connect with other students, staff, and professors
- Community | Be part of a community of other first year students and attend events together
How does it work?
- July/August: Mentors will reach out to you.
- September: Meet your mentor (and other students in your group!) at a Welcome Event
- Fall: Stay connected, attend academic events and socials together, and contribute to creating a positive campus community!
GET STARTED AS FIRST YEAR STUDENTS
Explore this suite of events and programs to help you get oriented at SFU! Both online and in-person opportunities to connect with first year students, meet staff and faculty, and get your first year started.
Welcome to Discover CMNS a sampling of the variety of opportunities available to you as a student, displayed by the different categories of involvement and the suggested time to explore these opportunities. Pick and choose what feels right for you.
These are all suggestions, so follow a path you set for yourself or break out of the typical and create your own map! It’s up to you where you want to go, what you want to do, and how you are going to shape your time here at SFU. You are joining a network of students and alumni who are working on exciting and new cutting-edge projects and initiatives, and effecting industry and social change.
Each opportunity you explore is a stepping stone to build your skills, experiences, strengths, and interests. Taking small steps and trying new things help guide your interests and develop the skills you need to get where you want to go. And it’s okay if you don’t know where you want to go yet! You’re in the best place to figure it out.