- Current Students
- Community & Events
- Careers - Employment - Hiring
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Login
Become a Mentor
CMNS Peer Mentor Program
(First Year Experience)
September 2019 - April 2020
Program Information | Do you remember how it felt entering university for the first time? The School of Communication is looking for students who want to have the opportunity to shape the first year experience for new Communication students. Be part of a team of enthusiastic student mentors who can provide a positive and supportive environment for new students entering SFU!
• Engage with mentees and play an integral part in their social and academic transition into university life
• Host monthly informative, engaging and fun workshops for new students in the Fall term
• Continually provide support to mentees and new Communication students throughout the year through various mediums and sharing personal experiences
• Be a proud representative for the School of Communication and strive to equip new students with the tools and knowledge to succeed at SFU.
Required Time Commitment
Training (Approx. a total of 10-15 hours over the summer term)
In person: Mandatory two-day training on August 19 and 20 (8 hours)
Online training: 2-3 hours at own pace, before and after in-person training
Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 Approx. 15 hours per month from September to December 2019
• Attend event planning and team meetings once or twice per month
• Host monthly events to connect with your mentees
• Attend School of Communications/FCAT academic/social events (at least once per month)
The ideal candidate for this position will:
• Be an FCAT student with a major/minor in CMNS with minimum completion of first year at SFU and a cumulative GPA of 2.50
• Completed CMNS 110 and 130
• Demonstrate strong public speaking and written communication skills
• Demonstrate accountability, reliability, professionalism, time management and teamwork
• Familiarity and experience with the various resources available on campus considered an asset
• Previous student leadership, peer mentoring, event planning and experience in working as part of a team considered an asset
Why join the team?
• Develop skills
• Enhance interpersonal and communications skills through verbal, written, and in-person connections with students and fellow mentors
• Strengthen leadership skills in mentoring new students, providing support, and creating connections among new students
• Opportunity to be involved in the event planning, implementation and team building skills
Be part of a community
• Contribute your skills and knowledge to positively impact and welcome new students
• Connect with a network of students, staff, and faculty who are involved with transition and engagement programming
Student & professional development
• Recognition on SFU’s Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
• Gain free access to Passport to Leadership (P2L) for 2019
• Opportunity to plan and participate in professional and personal development opportunities (LinkedIn, resume/cover letter, and leadership skills workshops)
Join our team now!
• Successful applicants will be contacted for in-person group interviews after the application deadline.
Application deadline: May 14, 2019 at 11:59 pm.
Questions? If you have any questions or have concerns about the required time commitment listed above please contact:
Zed Chia, Undergraduate Advisor and Recruiter (email@example.com).