- About CMNS
- News and Community
- Careers & Opportunities
- Faculty and Staff Login
Funding and Tuition
The tuition rate for international students in the graduate programs are the same as domestic students. The cost of tuition drops for PhD students after eight semesters. See current tuition rates.
All admitted applicants are considered for all forms of funding available through SFU. Applicants are also strongly encouraged to apply for external funding wherever possible. Eligible PhD applicants should also apply for SSHRC doctoral funding.
SFU Financial Support
SFU offers funding for PhD students in several forms:
- Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship
The Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship is valued at $21,000 for four years. Students do not need to apply to this scholarship.
- Private Entrance Scholarships and Awards
Successful applicants may be nominated for private entrance scholarships by the School's admissions committee.
- Graduate Fellowships
Successful applicants are normally allocated two Graduate Fellowships, valued at $6,500 each.
School of Communication Financial Support
- Teaching Assistant and/or Tutor-Marker positions ($5200 – $6200 per semester)
- Research Assistantships (compensation varies)
- Sessional teaching appointments (following completion of comprehensive examinations)
- Private Scholarships (one year awards valued at up to $18,000)