- Current Students
- Community & Events
- Careers & Opportunities
- Faculty and Staff Login
- Contact Us
On Study Leave: January 1, 2022 - December 31, 2022
Daniel Ahadi is an uninvited settler of Iranian descent on these unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples, a Senior Lecturer in the School of Communication, and an affiliated faculty member at The Digital Democracies Institute. His research focuses on the development of self and identity within the context of media, migration, globalization, and formation of transnational diasporas. His most recent publications include, "Disrupting the digital: Persian-language community radio in Stockholm and the continued relevance of analogue media in a digital age," in Sherry S. Yu and Matthew Matsaganis (Ed.), Ethnic media in the digital era (2019, Routledge), "Implementing First-Year Experience curriculum in a large lecture course: Opportunities, challanges, and myths" (with J. Pedri and D. Nichols) in The Canadian Journal of Higher Education, and "Ethnic Media and Acculturation," in Young Yun Kim’s International Encyclopaedia of Intercultural Communication (2018, Wiley).
He is currently working on 2 co-edited volumes: The Handbook of Ethnic Media in Canada (Forthcoming 2022, under contract with McGill-Queen's University Press), with Sherry S. Yu at University of Toronto and Ahmed Al-Rawi at Simon Fraser University; and The Politics of Fieldwork in Migration Research: New Approaches by Canadian Communication and Cultural Studies Scholars (Forthcoming, 2023) with Kirsten E. McAllister at Simon Fraser Universtiy and Ayaka Yoshimizu at The University of British Columbia.
- PhD Simon Fraser University (2016)
- MA University of Stockholm (2004)
- BA Simon Fraser University (2002)
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.
- CMNS 110: Introduction to Communication Studies
- CMNS 202: Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods in Communication
- CMNS 362: Evaluation Methods for Applied Communication Research
- CMNS 428: Media Analysis Project Group
- CMNS 432: Political Communication, Public Opinion, and Political Marketing
- CMNS 448(ST): Ethnic Media
- CMNS 848: Communication and Global Social Justice
- Ahadi, D., Yu, S., & Al-Rawi, A. (Forthcoming 2022). The Handbook of Ethnic Media in Canada. McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- McAllister, K., Yoshimizu, A., & Ahadi, D. (Forthcoming 2023). The Politics of Fieldwork in Migration Research: New Approaches by Canadian Communication and Cultural Studies Scholars.
- Ahadi, D., Pedri, J., & Nichols, D. (2019). Implementing First-Year Experience curriculum in a large lecture course: Opportunities, challanges, and myths. The Canadian Journal of Higher Education, 49(2), 73-90.
- Yu, S. & Ahadi, D. (2010). Promoting civic engagement through ethic media. PLATFORM: Journal of Media and Communication. 2 (2), 54-71.
- Ahadi, D. & Murray, C. (2009). Urban mediascapes and multicultural flows: Vancouver’s communication infrastructure. Canadian Journal of Communication, 33 (2), 587-612.
- Ahadi, D. (2009). L’Affaire Hérouxville in context: Conflicting narratives on Islam, Muslim women, and identity. Journal of Arab and Muslim Media Research, 2 (3), 241-260.
- Ahadi, D. (2019). Disrupting the digital: Persian-language community radio in Stockholm and the continued relevance of analogue media in a digital age. In Sherry S. Yu and Matthew Matsaganis (Ed.), Ethnic media in the digital era. Routledge.
- Matsaganis, M. & Ahadi, D. (2018). Ethnic media and acculturation. In Young Yun Kim (Ed.), International Encyclopaedia of Intercultural Communication . Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ahadi, D. (2015). Against all odds: Making underground music in Iran. In Jacqueline Kennelly and Stuart Poyntz (eds.), Phenomenology of youth cultures and globalization: Lifeworlds and surplus meaning in changing times. London: Routledge.
- Ahadi, D. (2010). Towards a cross-cultural approach to mental health and counselling in Vancouver: Development of S.U.C.C.E.S.S.’s mental health counselling and support services for immigrant communities. Vancouver: Centre for Policy Research on Culture and Communities. Report to S.U.C.C.E.S.S. & Metropolis (80 pages).
- Murray, C., Yu, S. & Ahadi, D. (2007). Cultural diversity and ethnic media in British Columbia. Vancouver: Centre for Policy Research on Culture and Communities. Report to the Department of Canadian Heritage (144 pages).
Media representation; post-colonial and anti-colonial theory; critical race studies; queer theory; intersectionality; critcal multiculturalism studies; ethnic media; applied research in curriculum design and theories of learning; qualitative research methods; critical analysis of academic research traditions and methodological practices; the relationship between knowledge/power, voice, and positionality.