- Current Students
- Community & Events
- Careers & Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Login
- 1977 M.A. Communication, Simon Fraser University, Canada.
- 1973 B.G.S. General Studies, Simon Fraser University, Canada
Book Chapters and Monographs
- Anderson, P. S., Braham, S., Koziatek, O., Oldring, A., Ursulak, D., & d'Aquino, M. (2016). British Columbia tsunami notification methods: A toolkit for community planning. (Research Report No. DRDC-RDDC-2016-C151). Ottawa: Defence Research and Development Canada, Centre for Security Science; Simon Fraser University.
- Anderson, P. S. (2013). Information and Communication Technology. In P. T. Bobrowsky (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Natural Hazard (pp. 536-540). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Anderson, P. S. (2006). BC Tsunami Warning: A Toolkit for Community Planning, British Columbia Provincial Emergency Program, British Columbia Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General.
- Samarajiva, R., Knight, M., Anderson, P., & Zainudeen, A. (2005). National Early Warning System: Sri Lanka-A Participatory Concept Paper for the Design of an Effective All-Hazard Public Warning System. Colombo, LIRNEAsia.
- Anderson, P. S. & Gow, G. (2003). The wireless revolution: emerging challenges for integrated emergency communications planning in Canada. In P. Herder & W. Thissen (Eds.), Critical Infrastructures: State of the Art in Research and Application. Kluwer, Netherlands.
- Anderson, P. S. (2003). Bringing early warning to the people: electronic technology: the role of the internet. In J. Zschau & A. Kuppers (Eds.), Early Warning Systems for Natural Disaster Reduction (pp. 85-87). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Anderson, P. S. (2002). Critical infrastructure protection in the Information Age. In R. Mansell, R. Rohan & A. Mahan (Eds.), Networking Knowledge for Information Societies: Institution & Intervention. Delft, Netherlands: DUP Science.
- Anderson, P. S. (1999). Future Opportunities for Communication for Disaster Reduction at the Community Level. In J. Ingleton (Ed.), Natural Disaster Management. Leicester: Tudor Rose.
Journals and Professional Publications
- Gow, G. A., McGee, T., Townsend, D., Anderson, P., & Varnhagen, S. (2009). Communication technology, emergency alerts, and campus safety. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, 28(2). 34-41. doi:10.1109/MTS.2009.932797.
- 2008. “Last-Mile Hazard Information Dissemination: Challenges and Opportunities for Sri Lanka”. Asian Disaster Management News, Bangkok. (with N. Waidyanatha).
- 2003. “A General Framework for Mitigation-oriented Planning Assessments of Mobile Telecommunications Lifelines (MRTL)” in Natural Hazards 28. Special Issue: An Assessment of Natural Hazards and Disasters in Canada . Kluwer.(with Gordon Gow)
- 2003. “Satellite communications in disaster management: selected Canadian systems”, in Space Communications 18 , Numbers 3,4. IOS Press. (with James B. Hamilton.)
- 1997. “Virtual Emergency Management Information Systems,” Stop Disasters , No. 32, II.
- 1997. With Robert Stephenson. “Disasters and the Information Technology Revolution,” Disasters: the Journal of Disaster Studies, Policy and Management , Blackwell Publishers, Vol. 21, No. 4, December.
- 1996. “Building Emergency Lanes on Canada’s Information Highway,” Emergency Preparedness Digest , Vol. 23, No. 3, July–September.
Published Conference Papers
- Anderson, P. S. (2010). Symposium on Enhancing Tsunami Warning Along North America’s Northwest Coast: Reaching the Last Mile: Final Summary Report. Burnaby: Telematics Research Lab, Simon Fraser University.
- Gow, G. A., Townsend, D., McGee, T., & Anderson, P. (2008). Communication technology and campus safety: Critical sociotechnical concerns for emergency messaging at Canadian universities. Paper presented at the Proceedings Technology and Society, ISTAS 2008. IEEE International Symposium. Fredericton, NB, Canada. (pp. 1-5). doi:10.1109/ISTAS.2008.4559770.
- Waidyanatha, N., Rangarajan, S., Gow, G., & Anderson, P. (2007). Last-mile hazard warning system in Sri Lanka: Performance of WorldSpace addressable satellite radios for emergency alerts. Paper presented at the Proceedings IEEE 1st International WPMC Symposium, Jaipur, India, (pp. 1(1) 233-237).
- Waidyanatha, N., Gow, G., & Anderson, P. (2007). Community-based hazard warnings in rural Sri Lanka: Performance of alerting and notification in a last-mile message relay. Paper presented at the Proceedings IEEE 1st International WRECOM2007 Conference and Exhibition, Rome, Italy.
- Waidyanatha, N., Gow, G., & Anderson, P. (2007). Common alerting protocol message broker for last-mile hazard warnings in Sri Lanka: An essential component. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 2nd International ISCRAM Workshop, Harbin, China, (pp. 59-65).
- Waidyanatha, N., Gow, G., & Anderson, P. (2007). Hazard warnings in Sri Lanka: Challenges of internetworking with common alerting protocol. Paper presented at the Proceedings ISCRAM2007, Delft, (pp. 281-293).
- Braham, S., Lee, P. & Anderson, P. (2003). Mobile Wireless Networking for Planetary Exploration. Keynote Topic. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the ESA Wireless Data Communications Onboard-Spacecraft Technology and Applications Workshop, Netherlands.
- Anderson, P., & Gow, G. (2001). The Wireless Revolution: Emerging Opportunities and Hidden Risks for the Emergency Management Communities. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Technology Policy and Innovation: Critical Infrastructures, Hague, Netherlands. (pp. 52-53).
- Anderson, P. (2001). Advanced Emergency Wireless Communications Infrastructures in British Columbia. Paper presented at the Proceedings of a Workshop on the Canadian Disaster Management Information System, Natural Resource Canada, Ottawa.
- Braham, S., Anderson, P., Lee, P., Alena, R., & Glass, B. (1999). Canada and analogue sites for mars exploration. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Second Canadian Space Exploration Workshop, University of Calgary.
Commissioned Research Reports
- Anderson, P. S. (2016). Improving End-to-end Tsunami Warning for Risk Reduction on Canada’s West Coast: Pilot Projects: Task 7 Report. (Research Report No. DRDC-RDDC-2016-C174). Ottawa: Canadian Safety and Security Program, Defence Research and Development Canada Emergency Management British Columbia; Simon Fraser University.
- Braham, S., & Anderson, P. S. (2015). Field Operational Test Facility for Next-Generation Interoperable Mission-Critical Communications – Final Analysis. Ottawa: Canadian Safety and Security Program, Defence Research and Development Canada.
- Anderson, P. S., & de Jager, D. (2013). North Shore Emergency Radio System Interoperability Strategy. Coquitlam: Chroma Communications Group Inc., North Shore Emergency Management Office.
- Braham, S., & Anderson, P. S. (2013). Multi-Agency Situational Awareness System: 2012-2013 Architecture Review and Future Development Potential Analysis. Ottawa: Centre for Security Science, Telematics Research Group; Simon Fraser University.
- Anderson, P. S., & de Jager, D. (2009). Peace River Regional District Emergency Communications Study. Coquitlam: Chroma Communications Group Inc.
- Gow, G., Anderson, P. S., McGee, T., & Townsend, D. (2008). Alerting Preferences and the Campus Community: A report on survey results from three Canadian universities. Edmonton: University of Alberta
- Anderson, P. S. (2007). Sri Lanka: Design Considerations for a Mobile Emergency Communications Vehicle. Geneva: International Telecommunications Union.
- Anderson, P. S. (2006). Last of the Mile Warning System ICT Assessment and Community Simulation Observation Report. Colombo: LIRNEasia.
- 2004. “Tsunamis and Coastal Communities in British Columbia: An Assessment of the BC Tsunami Warning System and Related Risk Reduction Practices”. Office of Critical Infrastructure Protection and Emergency Preparedness. (with Gordon Gow)
Current Research Interests
- Telecommunication & broadcasting policy; technology; communication to mitigate disasters/emergency communication.
Current Research Activities
- Rural and remote area communication issues and strategies.
- Social application of communication technology for sustainable community development, disaster risk reduction and resiliency.
- Last mile/last person community-based early warning systems.
- Space-based networking in support of human space exploration.
Research in Progress
- Next-generation public safety broadband networks.