- Current Students
- Community & Events
- Careers - Employment - Hiring
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Login
- 1981 Ph.D. University of Massachussetts, United States
- 1972 M.A. Sociology and Anthropology, University of Calgary, Canada
- 1970 B.A. Sociology/Geography, University of Guelph, Canada
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.
Books, Edited Books\Collections
- 2006 (ed. with David Whitson) Artificial Ice: Hockey, Culture and Commerce. Toronto: Garamond Press, 282 pp.
- 2000. R. Hackett and R. Gruneau, with D. Gutstein, T. Gibson and NewsWatch Canada. The Missing News: Filters and Blind Spots in Canada’s Press . Ottawa: Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives/Toronto: Garamond Press. 258 pp.
- 1999. Class, Sports and Social Development (2nd edition). Urbana, Ill: Human Kinetics Press.
- (in press) “Sport, Development and the Challenge of Slums.” In Russell Field (ed.) Sport as Contested Terrain: Essays in Honour of Brude Kidd. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- 2012 (with Robert Neubauer) “A Gold Medal for the Market: The 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, the Reagan Era and the Politics of Neoliberalism.” In Helen Lenskyj and Stephen Wagg (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Olympic Studies. Houndmills U.K.: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 134-162.
- 2008. “Amateurism as a Sociological Problem: Some Reflections Inspired by Eric Dunning.” In Dominic Malcolm and Ivan Waddington (eds.) Matters of Sport: Essays in Honour of Eric Dunning. Milton Park U.K.: Routledge, pp 57-80.
- 2011. “Consumption Based Development in the Age of Neoliberal Globalization.” Invited presentation, Center for Interdisciplinary Studies in Society and Culture, Concordia University, November.
- 2011 “Reported Deaths and Premature Burials: Rethinking the Concept of Ideology in Contemporary Social Analysis.” Invited presentation, Center for Interdisciplinary Studies in Society in Culture and the Department of Sociology, Concordia University, November.
- Popular culture & media
- Communications & cultural theory