Print

Omni-channel storytelling – Part 2: Social media best practices

April 25, 2019

In addition to general best omni-channel storytelling practices, Jessica MacLeod, PR coordinator for Jelly Digital Marketing, led our April's all-communicators meeting through a session on how we should be using each social media channel.

A PowerPoint of her presentation:

Her general advice on social media, tools and video can be found here.

SOCIAL CHANNEL TAKEAWAYS:

FACEBOOK:

Facebook is the largest social media platform with two billion active monthly users, but it’s becoming tougher and tougher to get organic reach (only 6 per cent of content is seen, only 1 per cent is acted on). We should use Facebook for important things that you want to share with your audiences – industry-related articles, fun things around campus, hot spots and to showcase work, expertise and thought leadership. We should use it to engage audiences, ask questions and to hold contests, as well we should make use of Facebook Live (for a Q&A for example) and for Facebook events.

Best practices:

-       Always upload video natively, rather than linking to a video. Be sure to tag when possible.

-       Every post should have media included.

-       Keep posts short, no more than 100 words – add a link for more and include a call to action.

-       Check links.

-       Tag and credit article and photos.

-       Respond to negative and positive comments.

Avoid:

-       Having too much text in your posts.

-       No video or photo or visual aspect on the post.

-       Not checking link, not shortening the link, including multiple links.

-       Not tagging correctly.

-       Not responding to negative comments (thank people and take if offline), or taking it out of the public eye.

INSTAGRAM:

Instagram boasts 800-million monthly users and slants toward young people (with more women users than men). Instagram should be used for visually appealing images to tell a story with a similar appearance and filters. A glance at the feed should let you know the brand’s personality. Use it for a look behind the scenes, how-to videos and for opportunities to meet the team.

Best practices:

-       Create a business profile for your Instagram account.

-       Use Unfold or Canva apps for a consistent look and feel.

-       Utilize Instagram Stories – rather than bombard followers in your photo feed, people are more tolerant of promotional content in Instagram Stories.

-       Make use of IGS’ gamification: use polls, slide bar and tap to show.

-       Use hashtags and build hashtag banks for different audiences.

-       Try to stick to the 80/20 rule: Keep 80 per cent of your content engaging, the other 20 per cent can be sales/promotion.

Avoid:

-       Don’t post a link in your photo caption. But you can use a 'swipe up' link in Instagram Stories.

-       Not responding to comments, or not commenting or liking tagged posts.

-       Not following relevant accounts – find out who is following you, and who your competitors are following.

-       Avoid inconsistent posting, poor quality photos.

TWITTER:

Twitter has 317-million users. It has more men users than women, a higher income and more desktop use and is significantly smaller than Facebook and Instagram. It is a huge news channel, but you’re are restricted in the word count and the content has a much shorter lifetime. We should be using it to retweet articles, blogs etc. Try to add your own two cents to any retweets and reply to people who tweet at you. We also be using it to connect with influencers and journalists.

Best practices:

-       Include links and always try to include a photo or video.

-       Shorten links or remove the url.

-       You can tweet similar content several times.

Avoid:

-       Don’t just retweet, try to add your voice to the conversation.

-       You can have too many hashtags, aim for between one and three.

LINKEDIN:

LinkedIn is the largest professional network in world but it’s hard to gain sizeable following. The channel is about the people. The content in your feed is because people you follow are linking to, or engaging in, that content. LinkedIn tends to have higher engagement time and audiences  with higher income. Most users are on desktop.

Best practices:

-       Include a caption or summary when posting an article and contribute you two cents to anything that you’re sharing.

-       Use good images and video.

-       Use hashtags and keywords.