GRADUATE LEVEL CO-OP
This new program is preparing Engineering Science and Mechatronic Systems Engineering graduate students to be available to work as of the Summer 2015 term. Interested students and employers, please contact the Graduate Co-op Coordinator. Graduate Co-op Approval Forms and Guidelines are available by contacting the Co-op Coordinator.
SPECIAL NOTE : All Graduate ( Masters and PhD) students must contact the FAS Grad Co-op Coordinator, Afshan Basaria email@example.com prior to applying for Grad Co-op.
1. APPLY TO CO-OP
Before being approved to join the Co-op Program, you must complete the online application form It is recommended that you apply between 30-60 credit hours.
2. NEW STUDENT SEMESTER
After acceptance into our co-op program, you will be registered into a pre-requisite Canvas course where we will work with you through the semester to develop your job search skills to a competitive level.
Content for the course during the semester includes:
- Group Orientation
- Job Search Workshops (Resume, Cover Letter, Interview)
- Specialized Workshops (Working In Canada, Working In Banking)
- Bridging OnLine (BOL I)
- Assignments (Self-Evaluation, Resume, Cover Letter, Student Information Summary, Work/Study Semester Plan, Work Permit (VISA))
- One to One Coaching (Review Sessions, Mock Interviews)
3. SEEKING SEMESTER
Upon successful completion of the "Bus Co-op: Intro to Co-op" Course, you will have access to the Co-op job postings to apply to positions that will begin the following semester
4. WORKING SEMESTER
Students that successfully compete for a co-op job will be registered into their Co-op practicum course and begin a 4 or 8 month work term during this semester.
What is the process to participate in the co-op program?
- Please apply 2 semesters before your intended work term. New graduate students should apply in their first semester.
- The subsequent semesters should alternate academic semesters with Co-op work terms.
- Graduate students may join Co-op at any point of their studies although students must finish their program on an academic semester.
- Professional Master's programs in Big Data & Mechatronic Systems is a mandatory co-op program. No application is required.
I did Co-op as an undergraduate student. Do I have to pay the application fee again?
Yes. Since the student is now in a different program, they have to pay the same fee as other students in that program
Can a Co-op student be a TA and work in a Co-op term at the same time?
No. Since funding can be limited, students are unable to access both of these options in the same semester, even if the co-op term is on campus.
Are PhD students permitted to do multiple Co-op terms?
Yes, as long as they obtain approval from their faculty supervisor.
Can I do a co-op term in the same semester that I am scheduled to defend my thesis?
No. Student must complete their program on an academic semester and commit their full attention to defending their thesis in their last semester.
If I am a thesis or PhD student, do I need to pay my term fee along with my co-op fee?
No. When you secure a co-op position, you only need to pay the co-op tuition fee.
What grade will I receive for the Co-op course?
Students will receive an "S" for Satisfactory or a "U" for Unsatisfactory. In cases where the student's work report doesn't meet the required standards, they may be given an extension to complete it.
|WORK IN FALL 2017||WORK IN SPRING 2018||WORK IN SUMMER 2018|
|APPLICATION DEADLINE||Jan 4,
||Sep 5, 2017|
|SEEKING TERM (Applying for Jobs)||Summer 2017||Fall 2017||Spring 2018|