Dear Faculty of Education Graduate Students,
We update this page monthly to keep you informed and updated about our programs, important information, events and services specifically catered to you. This is one of many communications channels your Graduate Studies team uses to ensure you receive important information on a regular basis. Make sure to Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
- Summer Awards Timelines
We recommend scanning ahead because it takes time to prepare award applications and send reference requests. Keep a running list of awards that you can apply for in your personal calendar. Even if you've missed this year's deadline, it will probably come up again next year and then you'll have more time to get your application in.
- Spring 2018 Fellowships Roundup: A list of external doctoral and postdoctoral fellowships.
- GSS Professional Development Grants (Deadline: May 1)
For $499 for graduate students presenting at conferences or engaging in field research. For travel occurring between June 1 2018 and September 30 2018.
- Bertram Doctoral Scholarships for Research on Organizational Governance (Deadline: May 22)
The Canadian Foundation for Governance Research is offering annual Bertram Scholarships of $15,000 to PhD students registered at Canadian universities who are conducting research into organizational governance.
- MAECI Grants for International Students to Study in Italy (Deadline: May 30)
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) offers study grants to foreign citizens not residing in Italy for the academic year 2018-2019. Funding is available for master's, doctoral, research-based and language studies.
- Schwarzman Scholars (Apply by: May 31 if you hold a passport from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Macao)
The Applications are now open for the Schwarzman Scholars Fellowship in Global Affairs at Tsinghua University in Beijing (China). Apply by October 1st, 2018.
- SFU Central Open Access Fund
to help publish work in open access journals, up to $2500/article
- Graduate Fellowships
up to $6500, deadlines vary by department
- President's PhD Scholarship
$6500, deadlines vary by department
- Travel/Minor Research
Primarily intended to support the travel component of the scholarly activity of graduate students related to their research, deadlines vary by program
- Mitacs Globalink Research Awards
$6000 for travel and research collaborations of 12-24 weeks, open to grad students and senior undergrads, rolling deadlines
- Mitacs Accelerate International
up to $15k for research with an international (except United States) industry partner
- Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship
to former Globalink research interns who return to Canada for research-based graduate studies
- Youth Education Assistance Fund
for young adults who have spent time in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a delegated Aboriginal agency (See also Youth Education Bursary)
- Get cash for participating in SFU Economics CRABE Lab experiments
The All SFU students are welcome to participate in SFU Economics CRABE Lab experiments. The CRABE Lab regularly invites SFU students to participate in research. Sessions range from 30 min to 2 hours, and you can register for any session that fits your schedule. Experiments are ongoing throughout the year. All you have to do is sign up, show up, complete simple tasks, and get paid.
- EGSA Professional Development Grant
The grant is available to education graduate students as a source of funding to help support learning activities that enrich a student’s focus of study. Education graduate students are eligible for up to $400 per academic year (September 1 to August 31), pending available funds. Professional Development Grants will be allocated by lottery.
- Premier's International Scholarships (Apr 30)
For Canadian residents of BC who will be studying abroad.
- I-HEART Post-Doctoral Indigenous Diabetes Management Scholarship (May 30)
The I-HEART Centre (Indigenous Health Education Access Research Training), in partnership with Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd and the University of British Columbia’s School of Kinesiology is proud to announce the I-HEART Centre Indigenous Diabetes Management Scholarship. This Postdoctoral Research Fellow position has been generously funded by Boehringer Ingelheim Canada. The funder will have no involved or influence on the academic research process.
- Scholarship Databases to Search for Local, Provincial, Federal and International Grants, Awards, Post-Doc Positions
- Province of British Columbia Grants Database
The Province of BC has a large grants website, under their RuralBC initiative. The grants are from a number of Canadian private and public sources and range from environmental to heritage to Aboriginal to youth to a range of other community-based efforts.If your graduate research includes an element that engages the community, you might be able to find funding to help you carry out the work. (As with all funding opportunities, be sure to talk to your supervisor before you start writing a proposal.)
- ScholarshipDB.net Database
A large database of scholarships, awards, and postdoctoral positions, searchable by country and academic discipline.
- Scholarship Positions Database
The Scholarship-Positions.com website, run by international students from over 25 countries, contains a very large number of awards, with daily updates. Scholarships are sorted by country, educational level (eg. Master's / PhD / post-doc) and assistantships / research positions. There is also a page of scholarships for women.
- Scholarships Canada Database
The Scholarships Canada contains over 80,000 scholarships, awards, bursaries and grants worth $177,092,640.
- Province of British Columbia Grants Database
- UBC, Vancouver Campus - Graduate Students in Teaching, Mini Conference 2018 (May 1 & 2)
This conference is an opportunity for students to focus on the present and future role of graduate students in teaching: graduate students teaching now, as well as graduate students as future faculty. This conference is free for all undergraduate and graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows, but registration is required.
- SFU, Burnaby Campus (Halpern Centre 126) - 2018 BC Teacher Education Roundtable (May 3-4)
Simon Fraser University's Faculty of Education is pleased to be hosting the 2018 BC Teacher Education Roundtable. Educators, Administrators and Faculty Members are invited to join us for one or two days as we explore this year's theme - Beyond Inclusion: Rights, Responsibilities, and Relational Pedagogies.
- Ottawa - 2018 CCERBAL Conference - Translanguaging: Opportunities and Challenges in a Global World (May 3-4)
Translanguaging, a construct referring to the complex use of more than one language as a (combined) resource, has captured the imagination of researchers, educators, and policy makers around the world. The role of translanguaging as a linguistic and social practice in family, community, educational and institutional contexts raises a number of stimulating and challenging questions that call for continued discussion. Plenary speakers: Ofelia García (City University of New York), Guillaume Gentil (Carleton University), and Danièle Moore (Simon Fraser University).
- UBC, Vancouver Campus - All Our Father's Relations: Exploring a New Learning Tool for Educators & Facilitators - Free screening and workshop (May 5)
PCHC-MoM is working with the team behind the award-winning documentary All Our Father’s Relations by film producer Sarah Ling, to host a public film screening and workshop targeted towards educators and facilitators. This discussion, together with a brochure we are creating to highlight the film’s themes in an educational context, will help teachers determine how they can use All Our Father’s Relations as a new learning tool to discuss Indigenous and/or Asian content. Register here.
- Burnaby, BC - The Burnaby Festival of Learning is May 6-12
The Burnaby Festival of Learning celebrates lifelong learning in creative, unconventional ways, and features a week-long series of FREE events for everyone that will inspire, engage and spark creativity. Enjoy a variety of events happening throughout Burnaby, including performances, lectures, discussions, tours, and more! Come on out, and #LearnGrowThrive! Now in its 3rd year, the festival is co-presented by SFU and the City of Burnaby in partnership with BCIT, Burnaby Family Life, Burnaby Intercultural Planning Table, Burnaby Neighbourhood House, and Burnaby School Distrit.
- SFU, Surrey Campus - 2018 Learning Together Conference - The Intersubjective Emergent: Engagement and Synergy (May 12)
Learning Together 2018 celebrates the many ways we can collaborate. The topics of conference sessions can be as diverse as the communities that comprise our Faculty of Education.
- Regina - Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences “Gathering diversities” at the University of Regina (May 26–Jun 1)
The annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is the convergence of over 70 scholarly associations, each holding their annual conference under one umbrella. Congress brings together academics, researchers, policy-makers, and practitioners to share findings, refine ideas, and build partnerships that will help shape the Canada of tomorrow.
- Kelowna - BCScTA Catalyst Converence 2018 (Jun 1)
The British Columbia Science Teachers' Association, invite you to present at the Catalyst 2018 Conference at Kelowna Secondary School, in Kelowna, BC, on October 19th, 2018. The theme for this year's conference is: "The Changing Face of Science", and will feature a keynote speech from Dr. David G. Harper. The Catalyst conference is a full day of professional development on the BC Provincial Pro-D day, featuring workshops for K-12 teachers covering a wide range of topics related to science education.
- The Maple Ridge - Pitt Meadows School District (SD No. 42) is hiring (Apply Now)
· Teachers-Teaching On Call (TTOCs)
- The Kootenay Lake School District (SD No. 8) is hiring (Apply Now)
· Teachers-Teaching On Call (TTOCs) for the 18/19 school year.
- The Kootenay-Columbia District (SD No. 20) is hiring for various positions (Apply Now)
- SSHRC is looking for a Director, Indigenous Research. Note that this position is exclusively aimed at individuals self-identifying as an Indigenous person.
- The University of Alaska Anchorage Recruiting Post-Doc (Apply Now)
· Multicultural Post-Doctoral Fellow, Joint Appointment Department of Health Sciences/Institute for Circumpolar Health Studies.
- The Vancouver Island West School District (SD No. 84) is hiring (Apply Now)
· Temporary 1.0 FTE Teacher required for KYUQUOT Elementary Secondary School.
- The Surrey School District (SD No. 36) is hiring for various positions (Apply Now)
- Conseil scolaire francophone de la Colombie-Britannique - Offres d'emploi
· Direction de l'instruction. La direction de l’instruction fait partie des cadres supérieurs du Conseil scolaire francophone et relève de la direction générale adjointe. Celle-ci est responsable de la mise en œuvre et de la supervision des programmes d’intervention et des programmes éducatifs afin d’augmenter l’efficacité pédagogique, d'assurer la réussite des élèves et d'encourager les pratiques novatrices à l’échelle du Conseil scolaire.
- The Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University is hiring (Apply Now)
· Tier 1 or Tier 2 Canada Research Chair (Learning Analytics and Learning Design) to commence September 1, 2018. Screening of applications will commence on May 10, 2018.
- Netolnew Postdoctoral Fellowship in Indigenous Education (Apply by April 30)
The University of Victoria’s Department of Indigenous Education (Victoria, Canada) invites applications for a 1-year Post‐Doctoral Fellowship position focusing on Indigenous adult language learning.
- The Student Learning Commons (SLC) in the Bennet Library, Simon Fraser University is hiring (Apply by April 30)
· English as an Additional Language Graduate Facilitator to commence May 14, 2018. The Facilitator’s main duty is to provide academic English coaching (one-to-one consultations) to both undergraduate and graduate EAL students with a focus on academic writing, speaking, and presentation skills. Other duties include team-teaching non-credit courses and giving workshops.
- Simon Fraser University, Institute for the Study of Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines and Faculty of Health Sciences is hiring (Apply by May 1)
Research Assistant (RA) appointment for the Teaching and Learning Development Grant Project Interventions that target student critical thinking when reading primary science literature.
- The Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University is hiring (Apply by May 1)
· Teaching Assistant Position (EDUC 481-4 Taught in French) for Summer 2018 is available.
- University of Victoria is hiring (Apply by May 4)
The School of Child and Youth Care at the University of Victoria is pleased to announce a search for an Indigenous tenure track assistant professor. The School of Child and Youth Care (University of Victoria) acknowledges and respects the Lkwungen-speaking peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.
- University of Victoria, Post-Doctoral Fellowship for the CIHR DRUM 2 Team Grant (Apply by May 4)
The University of Victoria’s School of Public Health and Social Policy (Victoria, Canada) invites applications for a two-year term position, at the rank of Post-Doctoral Fellow. The position can be extended for an additional year by mutual consent and if resources are available. Salary will be $55,000.00 per year. Geographic location of the position is flexible, with a preference for a Post-Doctoral Fellow who will be located in Alberta, British Columbia, or Saskatchewan.
- The METRO VANCOUVER INDIGENOUS SERVICES SOCIETY (MVISS), a subsidiary of the Metro Vancouver Aboriginal Executive Council (MVAEC), is seeking 9 new employment positions for a newly established Mental Wellness and Substance Use agency based in Vancouver, serving Vancouver/ Richmond/ North Shore (Apply by May 21)
- University of Victoria and UBC Faculty of Medicine, is hiring for Silent Genomes Project (Apply Now)
- Community Engagement Coordinator to lead the community engagement aspects of ‘Silent Genomes: Reducing health-care disparities and improving diagnostic success for Indigenous children with genetic disease’.
- Policy Project Manager to manage the Indigenous governance (oversight) aspects of ‘Silent Genomes: Reducing health-care disparities and improving diagnostic success for Indigenous children with genetic disease’.
- Scientific Project Manager to manage project deliverables and communications for an interdisciplinary project, ‘Silent Genomes: Reducing health-care disparities and improving diagnostic success for Indigenous children with genetic disease’.
- Volunteering Roundup
- Volunteer with the International Youth Exchange Program, An-Najah National University, Palestine, various deadlines
- Moderators for SFU's Philosophers' Café, $25 stipend per session, applications accepted at any time
- Volunteer with the Student Safety Engagement Program (at all three SFU Campuses)
- Volunteer with WISH (drop in center for self-identified women)
- Embark Sustainability Positions: Blog Writer
- CJSF (SFU's radio station) is looking for volunteers (Great experience for improving your public speaking skills.)
- SFU's Student Ambassador Program is open for applications from students. Ambassadors get a few perks in return for short-term volunteer work.
- Various volunteering opportunities are available through myInvolvement (under Opportunities)
- Academic Job Postings Websites
- AERA Job Board
- EdJobs: links Simon Fraser University Faculty of Education students and alumni to employers.
- CSSE: Canadian Society for the Study of Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- Educaloxy: Academic Vacancies in Schools of Education, Arts and Languages
- Academic Keys: Job Postings for Academics
- EdPsychJobs.info: A Job Information Site for Educational Psychologists
- Volunteer Opportunities With Frontier College (ongoing)
- Make a Future: is the official job board of BC school districts, First Nations schools, and BC-certified offshore schools. Find teaching jobs, and other careers in education.
- SFU myExperience: run by Student Service's Work Integrated Learning, is a job board for SFU students and alumni across the disciplines.
- UBC, Vancouver Campus - Indigenous Public Health Training Institutes Summer 2018 (Apply by May 1)
The The Indigenous Public Health Training Institutes will equip Indigenous community members and scholars with necessary skills to address public health issues in Indigenous communities. One-week intensive courses can be put towards the Graduate Certificate or Certificate (non-credit) or taken individually. Applications for Summer 2018 courses open until April 15th. Waitlist application will be accepted until May 1st.
- Fall 2018 Certificate Program in University Teaching and Learning, September 14 - December 7 (Register by May 25)
Are you a graduate student intending to apply for a teaching position? If so, reflecting on your teaching, improving your skills, and developing your practice may give you an advantage. This is a four-month, 120-hour, Senate-approved non-credit certificate for SFU graduate students who are aiming for employment in post-secondary institutions. The program is offered in the spring and fall terms of each school year.
- Germany - International Summer Course for German Language and Cultural Studies, University of Bonn (July 30 to August 10)
The University of Bonn invites international students and other interested individuals from any field of study or discipline to an International Summer Course for German Language and Cultural Studies. The International Summer Course offers the participants the opportunity to learn the German language or to improve existing language skills and to gain insight into German cultural studies.
- Dissertation/Thesis Support Group (Available by Referral)
Are you a masters or PhD student writing a dissertation or thesis? Feeling blocked, stuck, overwhelmed, frustrated, or isolated? This group will provide a safe and confidential space for graduate students writing a thesis or dissertation to share their experience and receive support from each other and the facilitator. It will focus on peer and emotional support, goal setting, and anxiety/stress management.
- Ethics and Your Thesis
If your thesis involves any work with humans or animals, you are required to obtain Ethics Approval.
- WIL Workshops Spring 2018: Want to improve your job search success and intercultural communication skills? SFU Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is offering two courses this spring that can help you! Job Search Success and Effective Intercultural Communication.
- FREE - 10-week Intensive International Teaching Assistants Seminar
The ITA Program has opened registration for international and EAL/ESL graduate students and TAs who wish to enhance their academic communication and teaching skills. The program which is open to all Graduate Students at SFU will give the students the opportunity to engage in inter-disciplinary training within a supportive environment.
- Thesis templates & Resources
Information on templates and resources for preparing and submitting your thesis.
- Get a complimentary subscription to University Affairs magazine
Did you know that Simon Fraser University faculty, staff and graduate students can subscribe to University Affairs magazine at no charge? University Affairs (UA) is an award-winning publication that provides breaking news, thoughtful commentary, and in-depth articles about university trends, as well as practical advice and tools to help your career, whether you’re a university administrator, faculty member or graduate student. Covering the higher education scene for over 50 years, UA is also the country’s largest source of career advertising aimed at the academic community. Sign up today for a free subscription to the print edition (a $39 value) or the digital edition by visiting the University Affairs website. You can also receive UA’s weekly email newsletteror sign up to get the latest UA career postings by email.
- Historical Studies in Education - Spring 2018 Special Issue Published
From Centennial to Sesquicentennial in Canada: TransformativeResearch in the History of Education
- DGS’s Update for Graduate Students
Get information about new awards, funding, jobs and volunteer postings. Learn about professional development opportunities, events, tips and tricks for your studies and more!
- Teaching and Learning Centre – TLC
The Teaching and Learning Centre consists of education and technology professionals who support SFU instructors and academic units in the development and delivery of innovative approaches designed to enhance their students' learning experiences.
- Graduate Student Society (GSS) Newsletter
Learn more about GSS Volunteer Opportunities, Graduate Caucus Funding, Announcements and Events from the Community and more!
- Stay Connected with EGSA (Education Graduate Student Association)
EGSA Website: http://www.sfu.ca/egsa/
EGSA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/egsa.sfu/
- SFU Aboriginal Peoples' Newsletter now online
Learn about SFU’s progress in advancing Aboriginal initiatives on campus and our commitment to reconciliation in the annual newsletter from the Office for Aboriginal Peoples.
- Become an Executive or Committee Member with EGSA (Some positions offer stipends)
Attend the next EGSA meeting and speak to the committee members to see which positions are open and the best fit for you. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Academic Progress Report on GoSFU
The Academic Progress Report (APR) is an interactive course mapping tool designed to help current graduate students understand their degree and program requirements.
- Traveling for Research or Conference? SFU International Travel Safety Program
Simon Fraser University’s Safety & Risk Services department is proud to announce the launch of our newest service, the International Travel Safety Program.
- Official SFU App Suite available on Android and iOS
Official SFU Apps include: SFU Snap (for the campus experience); SFU Vault (50 GB free online storage); go SFU (course enrollments, schedules); and Canvas (SFU's online Learning Management System).
- Individual and Group Space for Graduate Students and Postdocs in Research Commons
The Research Commons is located on the 7th floor of W.A.C. Bennett Library and is exclusively accessible to graduate students, faculty, and postdoctoral fellows by punch code. The space is currently equipped with wireless access, workstations, bookable group rooms, and areas for discussion and relaxation.
- Meet Your Education Librarian
Did you know you have your own liaison librarian, available for research consultations and personalized assistance?
Have an Item You Think Should be Included Here?
To suggest an item for inclusion in the monthly announcements, please send an email (including weblinks and relevant information) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, submissions will be reviewed for consideration, and suggestions may not be included if they do not fit within the scope of the announcements.