Dear Faculty of Education Graduate Students,
We update this page monthly to keep you informed and updated about our programs, important information, events and services specifically catered to you. This is one of many communications channels your Graduate Studies team uses to ensure you receive important information on a regular basis.
Important Information for our Education Graduate Students
- External Award: Amexcid & Conacyt call for proposals for projects between Mexican researchers in Mexico and abroad - Apply by September 14, 2018
Postdoctoral fellows who are from Mexico, researching at a Canadian Institution must connect with researchers from Mexico.
- SSHRC Indigenous Research Capacity and Reconciliation-Connection Grants - Deadline: September 6, 2018
The new tri-agency Indigenous Research Capacity and Reconciliation—Connection Grants invites proposals from applicants affiliated with First Nations, Métis and Inuit not-for-profit organizations, as well as with other not-for-profit organizations or Canadian post-secondary institutions in any discipline. Grants of up to $50,000 are available for 6 months.
- External Award: 2019 Mexican Government Scholarships - Deadline: September 28, 2018
The Government of Mexico is offering 27 scholarships to Canadians for study or research at Mexican universities.
- Advance Notice: Call for the SFU/Griffith University Collaborative Travel Grants 2018/19 - Deadline: October 1, 2018
SFU researchers currently collaborating with researchers from Griffith University, Australia, are encouraged to apply for this opportunity to be awarded this grant with the amount ranging from $5,000 to $15,000. For additional inquiries related to the SFU/Griffith Travel Grant, please contact Carol Zachs, Director, International Partnerships and Protocol, at email@example.com.
- External Award: Graduate SPOR Fellowship - Apply by November 9, 2018
The Fellowship provides opportunities for individuals enrolled in a thesis-based Master’s or PhD program at Simon Fraser University to receive training in patient-oriented research.
- Win a $100 raffle prize for participating in a Psychology Study
SFU international students are invited to participate in a study evaluating the adjustment of international students to studying and living in Canada. The online survey takes about 45-60 minutes to complete. The survey can be assessed here.
- Research Funding and Award Opportunities Database
SFU has recently introduced a Research Funding and Award Opportunities Database, containing hundreds of research grant and faculty award opportunities.
- Graduate Fellowships (Deadlines Vary)
Provides up to $6500, search GA3 to see availability.
- Travel Research Awards (Deadlines Vary)
Primarily intended to support the travel component of the scholarly activity of graduate students related to their research.
- External Dissertation Awards
Recognize students who are graduating with outstanding thesis dissertations at master's and doctoral levels.
- SFU Central Open Access Fund
The Open Access Author Fund (The Fund) supports SFU authors who wish to publish in Open Access (OA) journals and who are required to pay an article processing fee (APC). Up to $2500/article.
- Graduate [Int'l] Research Travel (Deadlines Vary By Department)
PFor students traveling for research as a degree requirement.
- Mitacs Globalink Research Awards (Multiple Rolling Deadlines A Year)
Provide $6,000 travel funding for research collaborations of 12-24 weeks at a university in any of Mitacs’ partner countries. Learn more about eligible destinations and award details.
- Mitacs Accelerate International (Apply Anytime)
Up to $15,000 for research with a company anywhere in the world.
- Mitacs Accelerate (Apply Anytime)
Supports collaborative research between grad students or postdocs and non-academic partners, including industry and eligible not-for-profit organizations. You can create your own research partnership, paid at $10–15,000 per term. The program is open to all academic disciplines, applications are non-competitive.
- President's PhD Scholarship
$6500, deadlines vary by department
- Youth Education Assistance Fund
For young adults who have spent time in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a delegated Aboriginal agency (See also Youth Education Bursary)
- Get cash for participating in SFU Economics CRABE Lab experiments
The All SFU students are welcome to participate in SFU Economics CRABE Lab experiments. The CRABE Lab regularly invites SFU students to participate in research. Sessions range from 30 min to 2 hours, and you can register for any session that fits your schedule. Experiments are ongoing throughout the year. All you have to do is sign up, show up, complete simple tasks, and get paid.
- EGSA Professional Development Grant
The grant is available to education graduate students as a source of funding to help support learning activities that enrich a student’s focus of study. Education graduate students are eligible for up to $400 per academic year (September 1 to August 31), pending available funds. Professional Development Grants will be allocated by lottery.
- Scholarship Databases - Province of BC
- Government of Canada awards database (sortable by country)
- Scholarships Canada database
- Jason Scholarship Database (from Sydney University)
- EU Research and Innovation Participant Portal (more info and background)
- Horizon 2020 (€80 billion budget)
- SFU Research Services Funding Awards and Opportunities
- Week of Welcome - September 4-7, 2018
Get ready for Week of Welcome, SFU’s annual celebration for both new and returning students at all three campuses.
- UBC Faculty of Education Presents Graduate Student Lecture - September 10, 2018
Featuring Indigenous Scholars Drs. Linda Tuhiwai Smith & Bridgette Masters-Awatere. All Graduate Students welcome! Monday, September 10th from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm at UBC First Nations Longhouse (1985 West Mall, Vancouver, BC).
- SFU StreetFest @ UniverCity - September 14, 2018
Come join a day of fun at the first-ever SFU StreetFest @ UniverCity on Friday, September 14th - starting at noon. The festivities will cap-off with the showing of The Lego Movie at 7:30pm. Students, faculty, staff, families and community members are invited to participate in a new school year celebration event as we take over University High Street.
- 5th Annual Gathering of the Salmon People - September 17, 2018
You are invited to attend the 5th Annual Gathering of the Salmon People – Welcome Back event, hosted by the Office of Indigenous Education and the Indigenous Education Reconciliation Council. On Monday, September 17, 2018, starting at 1:00pm until 4:00pm, in the Diamond Family Auditorium. Come celebrate the Fall Solstice with us. Food and refreshments will be served. Please RSVP your attendance by September 11th.
- SFU Terry Fox Run - September 28, 2018
This year’s Terry Fox Run/Walk Event for cancer research will take place at all three campuses on Friday, September 28 at 12 noon. Whether you walk or run, with colleagues, classmates or solo, I hope you will attend one of SFU’s biggest community events honouring one of the university’s greatest former students and Canadian hero, Terry Fox.
- Call for Submissions - The Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE) Annual Conference - October 5, 2018
Submit a presentation proposal for the 2019 CSSE Annual Conference in Vancouver, BC on 1 – 6 June 2019 (pre-conferences on 1 June 2019). Held in conjunction with the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, this bilingual conference provides an opportunity for discussion of educational issues among practitioners and educational scholars from across the nation.
- Faculty of Education Convocation Fall 2018 - October 5, 2018
Convocation Fall 2018 will be held on Friday, October 5th in Convocation Mall with ceremony starting at 2:30pm. The full Convocation schedule can be viewed online.
- Call for Speakers - PechaKucha Night Vol. 2 - October 24, 2018
The City of Burnaby is hosting a PechaKucha Night in October and is looking for inspiring speakers for this highly anticipated event. PechaKucha is also part of Burnaby Festival of Learning (a partnership project between SFU and City of Burnaby).
- SAVE THE DATE: Toronto - OpenCon 2018 - November 2-4, 2018
This a conference about advancing Open Education, Open Access and Open Data.
- SAVE THE DATE: Hawaii - 17th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education - January 5-8, 2019
The 17th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education will be held from January 5th to January 8th, 2019 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort in Honolulu, Hawaii. The 2019 Hawaii International Conference on Education will once again be the gathering place for academicians and professionals from Education and related fields from all over the world.
- Assistant Research Project Manager position for Indigenous education research project - Apply by September 2, 2018
Under the supervision of Project Manager and Research Director, a part-time Assistant Research Project Manager is required for an Indigenous education research project to assist with administrative, management and research related tasks.
- RA Position: Temporary Graduate Research Assistant position - Apply by September 10, 2018
SFU’s Faculty of Education Associate Dean, Academic and Research Office invites applications for a temporary Graduate Research Assistant to begin as soon as possible until December 31, 2018.
- RA Position: Institute for the Study of Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines & the Faculty of Science - Apply by September 10, 2018
The Simon Fraser University (SFU) Institute for the Study of Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines (ISTLD) invites applications for a Research Assistant for the Teaching and Learning Development Grant project “Designing lab groups in intro biology to support student learning & experience” to begin Oct 2018 or earlier.
- Temporary Part-time Non-Credit Instructor Position - Apply by September 15, 2018
The Simon Fraser University (SFU) International Teaching Assistants Program Lifelong Learning, Continuing Studies invites applications for a Part-time Non-Credit Instructor Position to begin September 26, 2018.
- Queen's University is hiring Three Tenure-Track Positions in Education - Apply by October 1, 2018
The Faculty of Education at Queen's University invites applications for three Tenure-track faculty positions. Two positions are at the rank of Assistant Professor with specializations in 1) Educational Policy 2) Curriculum Theory. The third position is at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor with a specialization in the area of 3) Measurement and Assessment. All three positions have a preferred starting date of July 1, 2019.
- University of Windsor is hiring Three Tenure-Track Assistant Professor Positions in Education - Apply by October 1, 2018
The University of Windsor's Faculty of Education invites applications for three (3) tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor, in the areas of 1) Educational Psychology, 2) Mathematics Education and 3) Language Arts Education. All three positions have a preferred starting date of July 1, 2019.
- University of York is hiring an Assistant Lecturer - Early Childhood Education - Apply by October 15, 2018
The Faculty of Education invites applications for a full-time tenure-track teaching-focused (alternate stream) position in Early Childhood Education at the rank of Assistant Lecturer.
- University of York is hiring an Assistant Lecturer - Mathematics Education - Apply by October 15, 2018
The Faculty of Education invites applications for a full-time tenure-track teaching-focused (alternate stream) position in Mathematics Education at the rank of Assistant Lecturer.
- University of York is hiring an Assistant Lecturer - Secondary Science Education - Apply by October 15, 2018
The Faculty of Education invites applications for a full-time tenure-track teaching-focused (alternate stream) position in Secondary Science Education at the rank of Assistant Lecturer.
- University of York is hiring an Assistant Pofessor - Global Migration and Education - Apply by October 15, 2018
The Faculty of Education invites applications for a full-time tenure-track appointment in Global Migration and Education at the rank of Assistant Professor. The successful candidate will contribute to our growing Bachelor of Arts in Educational Studies, our unique Master of Leadership and Community Engagement program, teach courses within other programs in the Faculty, and supervise graduate students.
- University of York is hiring an Assistant Professor - Indigenous Education and Pedagogy - Apply by October 15, 2018
The Faculty of Education invites applications for a full-time tenure-track appointment in Indigenous Education and Pedagogy at the rank of Assistant Professor.
- University of York is hiring an Assistant Professor - Second Language Acquisition and Learning - Apply by October 15, 2018
The Faculty of Education invites applications for a full-time tenure-track appointment in Second Language Acquisition and Learning at the rank of Assistant Professor. The successful candidate will contribute to our Bachelor of Education, Graduate Diploma in Language and Literacy Education, teach courses within other programs in the Faculty, and supervise graduate students.
- University of Victoria is hiring a Limited Term Assistant Teaching Professor in Counselling Psychology Indigenous or Visible Minority Scholar - Apply by January 2, 2019
The Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies, University of Victoria invites Indigenous and visible minority scholars to apply for a two-year limited term Assistant Teaching Professor in the area of Counselling Psychology to begin July 1, 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
- University of Victoria is hiring a Tenure-track Position in Counselling Psychology Indigenous or Visible Minority Scholar - Apply by January 2, 2019
The Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies (EPLS) invites applications from Indigenous peoples and members of visible minorities for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the area of Counselling Psychology to begin July 1, 2019, or as negotiated.
- University of Victoria is hiring a Tenure-track Position in Counselling Psychology Indigenous or Visible Minority Scholar - Apply by January 2, 2019
The Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies (EPLS) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the area of Educational Psychology: Learning, Development and Instructional Sciences (LDIS) to begin July 1, 2019, or as negotiated.
- Academic Job Postings Websites
- AERA Job Board
- EdJobs: links Simon Fraser University Faculty of Education students and alumni to employers.
- CSSE: Canadian Society for the Study of Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- Educaloxy: Academic Vacancies in Schools of Education, Arts and Languages
- Academic Keys: Job Postings for Academics
- EdPsychJobs.info: A Job Information Site for Educational Psychologists
- Volunteer Opportunities With Frontier College (ongoing)
- Make a Future: is the official job board of BC school districts, First Nations schools, and BC-certified offshore schools. Find teaching jobs, and other careers in education.
- SFU myExperience: run by Student Service's Work Integrated Learning, is a job board for SFU students and alumni across the disciplines.
- Free International Teaching Assistants Program Fall Schedule - Apply Now.
The ITA program is offering (2) 3-week seminars and (3) 10-week seminars in the Fall.
- Call for Submissions - The Canadian Association of Principals (CAP) - September 7, 2018
CAP is requesting written submissions for our next publication with the theme: “Technology Leader or Leading Technology”. This topic will explore the idea of administrators leading the use of technology in the instructional part of a school leader’s work, and how they are supporting and being innovative, in supportive teachers in using technology for teaching and learning. There may also be some connection to this and the use of Social Media that people want to explore in their articles.
- Call for Proposals - TM/TA Day - Submission deadline: October 5, 2018
As a veteran teaching assistant or tutor-marker with a passion for teaching and learning, what knowledge do you have that could make the life of a novice teaching assistant or tutor-marker easier? We invite you to share your expertise at TA/TM Day. You’ll build your resume, gain presentation experience, receive compensation, and help your peers. EVENT DATE: Fri, January 4, 2019.
- Teaching Dossiers for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows - November 6, 2018
Are you planning to pursue a career as a tenure-track faculty member? If so, then you will need to prepare a teaching dossier at some point in order to document your teaching approaches, experience and effectiveness in the classroom.
- Research Commons Workshops
Research Commons offers workshops in all three campuses, free to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Dissertation/Thesis Support Group - Available by Referral
Are you a masters or PhD student writing a dissertation or thesis? Feeling blocked, stuck, overwhelmed, frustrated, or isolated? This group will provide a safe and confidential space for graduate students writing a thesis or dissertation to share their experience and receive support from each other and the facilitator. It will focus on peer and emotional support, goal setting, and anxiety/stress management.
- Ethics and Your Thesis
If your thesis involves any work with humans or animals, you are required to obtain Ethics Approval.
- Thesis templates & Resources
Information on templates and resources for preparing and submitting your thesis.
- Free Mental Health Support via MY SSP
SFU students & postdocs will have free, 24/7 access to culturally relevant mental health support available from anywhere in the world.
- Get unlimited access to Education Canada magazine online articles at no charge (SFU graduate students, faculty and staff)
Education Canada magazine explores every facet of Canadian public education. To register, follow the steps below:
1) Use your official faculty/student email address to register (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). Registration will not work with personal emails.
2) Go to: edcan.ca/join
3) Click on the Join button for "Staff member of CEA/EdCan Network Member Organization"
4) Fill in all required fields. Your faculty's email domain (@sfu.ca) will be available in a drop-down menu on the registration form.
In addition to unlimited online magazine access, your EdCan Network Faculty of Education membership includes additional benefits that your entire staff can take advantage of. For details, please visit: edcan.ca/memberbenefits.
- Quest Food Exchange
The GSS has partnered with Quest in order to help support people facing financial hardship to access affordable, healthy food.
- Your Academic Progress Report
Access your Academic Progress Report (APR) through your go.sfu.ca account. This interactive course mapping tool is designed to help you keep track of your degree and program requirements.
- Free access to Lynda.com
All current students, staff, and faculty have free access to Lynda.com through the SFU Library.
- Free Microsoft Office
All SFU students can install Microsoft Office for free. (Adobe Creative Suite is also available for university-owned computers).
- Graduate Student Business Cards
Graduate students and registered postdoctoral fellows are able to order business cards through SFU Document Solutions. See our website for a walkthrough of how to order.
- Get a complimentary subscription to University Affairs magazine at no charge (SFU graduate students, faculty and staff)
University Affairs (UA) is an award-winning publication that provides breaking news, thoughtful commentary, and in-depth articles about university trends, as well as practical advice and tools to help your career, whether you’re a university administrator, faculty member or graduate student. Sign up today for a free subscription to the print edition (a $39 value) or the digital edition by visiting the University Affairs website.
- DGS’s Update for Graduate Students
Get information about new awards, funding, jobs and volunteer postings. Learn about professional development opportunities, events, tips and tricks for your studies and more!
- Teaching and Learning Centre – TLC
The Teaching and Learning Centre consists of education and technology professionals who support SFU instructors and academic units in the development and delivery of innovative approaches designed to enhance their students' learning experiences.
- Graduate Student Society (GSS) Newsletter
Learn more about GSS Volunteer Opportunities, Graduate Caucus Funding, Announcements and Events from the Community and more!
- Stay Connected with EGSA (Education Graduate Student Association)
EGSA Website: http://www.sfu.ca/egsa/
EGSA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/egsa.sfu/
- SFU Aboriginal Peoples' News
Learn about SFU’s progress in advancing Aboriginal initiatives on campus from the Office for Aboriginal Peoples.
- Become an Executive or Committee Member with EGSA (Some positions offer stipends)
Attend the next EGSA meeting and speak to the committee members to see which positions are open and the best fit for you. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Traveling for Research or Conference? SFU International Travel Safety Program
Simon Fraser University’s Safety & Risk Services department is proud to announce the launch of our newest service, the International Travel Safety Program.
- Individual and Group Space for Graduate Students and Postdocs in Research Commons
The Research Commons is located on the 7th floor of W.A.C. Bennett Library and is exclusively accessible to graduate students, faculty, and postdoctoral fellows by punch code. The space is currently equipped with wireless access, workstations, bookable group rooms, and areas for discussion and relaxation.
- Meet Your Education Librarian
Did you know you have your own liaison librarian, available for research consultations and personalized assistance?
Have an Item You Think Should be Included Here?
To suggest an item for inclusion in the monthly announcements, please send an email (including weblinks and relevant information) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, submissions will be reviewed for consideration, and suggestions may not be included if they do not fit within the scope of the announcements.