- An SFU Connect account
- A Gmail account with IMAP enabled
Note: Instructions for enabling the IMAP function in Gmail are beyond the scope of this article.
Please refer to Gmail's support article for more details
Migrate SFU Connect with Gmail
1. Sign into SFU Connect (http://connect.sfu.ca)
2. Navigate to the Preferences tab.
3. Navigate to Accounts from the sidebar on the left.
4. Click Add External Account
5. Fill in the dialogue with the following information:
- Email address: Your full Gmail email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Account Name: A name/description for your Gmail account
- Account type: Select IMAP
- Username of Account: Your full Gmail email address (e.g., email@example.com)
- Email Server: imap.gmail.com
- Password: Your Gmail account password
- Advanced Settings: Check the box next to "use an encrypted connection (SSL) when accessing this server"
6. Click Save when done, then navigate back to the Mail tab.
7. You should see your Gmail folders and all your email.
- Note: If you have a large Gmail account, it may take up to several hours to complete the transfer.
Forwarding a Copy of Your Email
When you receive a message in your SFU Connect mail, you can automatically send a copy to another email address. This is an easy way to back up all of your messages in the future if you no longer have access to your SFU account.
Navigate to Preferences, then select the Mail tab and scroll down to Receiving Messages. Enter in a email you want your a copy of your messages sent to. Then click Save.