Leadership Empowerment and Development Community
Leadership Empowerment and Development (LEAD) brings together students from diverse backgrounds in a multi-disciplinary environment with a specific focus on leadership. This foundational program has been designed to foster the personal growth of participants who are new to leadership and participants with some prior leadership experience. Regardless of where you are in your leadership and personal development, there is something in this program for you.
As a community member in the LEAD LLC, you will take part in a co-curricular leadership development program with your fellow LEAD LLC residents. Together, you will explore your leadership potential and develop key leadership skills by completing workshops and practical, experiential components and learning from each other.
Based on SFU’s Passport to Leadership 1: Foundations of Leadership program, the LEAD LLC will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop your self-awareness
- Understand your worldview and approach to leadership
- Learn how to approach communication with intention
- Understand the significance of values, perceptions and assumptions
- Learn how to navigate uncertainty by "creating your own luck"
- Students who participate in the LEAD LLC will receive credit on their co-curricular record
- Gain valuable experience with community engagement
- Develop leadership skills and potential
- Receive specialized support from fellow students, staff and faculty with expertise in leadership and service learning
There are different components to the LEAD LLC program for students in the fall and spring semesters:
- Passport to Leadership is a six week program (1 session per week). Each session is 2 hours long, and requires an additional 30-60 minute of online preparation time (readings and reflection) per session. Any student at SFU is eligible to participate in the Passport to Leadership program.
- Mastermind sessions are for LEAD LLC students only. These sessions take place the same week as the Passport to Leadership sessions and are focused on further exploring leadership as a concept and providing a fuller debrief of the Passport to Leadership session you participated in earlier that week. For fall 2019, the Mastermind sessions will take place on Fridays from 10:30am-12:00pm in SFU Residence. Students must be available for these sessions.
- For the spring 2020 term, students will take Passport to Leadership 2 (the sequel to Passport to Leadership) with the opportunity to focus on a Residence-specific community project.
- The Passport to Leadership 2 time commitment is six sessions that are three hours in length each.
- Passport to Leadership 2 focuses on a deeper level of personal leadership assessment and growth, and provides students with the opportunity to take Strengthsfinders and MBTI.
- There are no Mastermind sessions during spring 2020, just monthly check-ins and opportunities to attend campus and community leadership-focused activities and events.
Participants must attend all Passport to Leadership and Mastermind sessions in the fall semester as well as Passport to Leadership 2 and the monthly check-in sessions in the spring semester, to receive recognition for this program on their co-curricular record.
- Eligibility: All full-time undergraduate SFU and FIC students are eligible to apply. SFU exchange students are eligible as long as you are here for two terms (fall and spring).
- Additional Cost: No additional cost.
- Program Length: September 2019 – April 2020