As a freelance writer, you are not just a writer; you are your company's CEO, accounts receivable, accounts payable, project manager, human resources and janitor. But many freelance writers go into their career focusing only on the writing side of their business.
For a business to be not only sustainable but also grow, you need an understanding of the business aspects of freelancing. This includes knowing how to manage cash flow, determining what to charge your clients and planning for leaner times.
We will focus on the business aspects of freelance writing, encouraging you to make decisions from a business perspective.
At the end of the boot camp you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of having a business plan
- Determine how much to charge your clients
- Recognize the signs of a potentially problematic client
- Develop strategies to manage your cash flow
- Develop a plan for finding clients
- Explain the difference between a quote and an estimate
- Negotiate the terms of a contract.
This course will combine lecture with class discussion. We recommend bringing a laptop or tablet so you can complete in-class exercises.
NOTE: This is not a writing course.