Business analysts' ability to work effectively on a team is critical to the success of their work. This course will give you a solid understanding of the skills you need to develop and motivate teams and help them reach their goals. Core topics include team dynamics, personality styles, teamwork, trustworthiness, leadership, and influence.
Business Analysis: Team Dynamics and Leadership
We give priority to certificate students. If you would like to take this course individually, click on Join Waitlist above. We will contact you if a seat becomes available.
What will I learn?
After completing this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain the dynamics of team interactions
- Identify different personality styles and explain how they influence individual and team performance
- Explain the meaning of cultural diversity and the role it plays in individual and team dynamics
- Lead teams and other stakeholders toward agreed-upon goals
- Influence project outcomes
- Describe the dynamics of negotiations and the skills required for influencing and reaching decisions
- Explain how trustworthiness contributes to team success
How will I learn?
Classes are during the day, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, at SFU Vancouver. If you take this course as part of the Certificate in Applied Business Analysis, you will work with a cohort—a group of peers who share experiences, ideas, and knowledge. You may also take the course individually if space is available.
The course features a wide variety of instructional techniques, including facilitated group discussions, thought-provoking exercises that encourage experimentation and analysis, and instructor presentations of theory and best practices.
You will complete regular course reading and participate in exercises, group discussions, case studies, and presentations.
How will I be evaluated?
We’ll evaluate your performance in this course on a pass/fail basis using a combination of in-class or take-home assignments, individual or group projects, presentations, participation, and attendance. We expect you to participate in discussions and activities and complete all assignments.
Textbooks and learning materials
On the first day, you will receive a binder containing course materials. If you are part of the certificate program, you will receive A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge version 2.0 as well.