Final Project: Technical Communication Guided Practicum
The practicum gives you an opportunity to apply the knowledge and abilities you acquired through the previous courses. In a mentored atmosphere, with feedback from your instructor and from other students, you will create a portfolio-quality document that you can show prospective employers as a demonstration of your abilities.
You need to have completed all of these courses:
- Concepts and Practice of Technical Communication TCOM110
- Technical Writing and Editing TCOM120
- Research, Analysis and Information Design TCOM210
- Design and Production of Technical Publications TCOM220
- Indexing: An Essential Art and Science TCOM230
- Microsoft Word for Technical Writers: Advanced TCOM240
- Fundamentals of Creating Online Documents TCOM260
- Tools for Technical Communicators TCOM270
- Technical Writing: Advanced Workshop TCOM310
- Documentation Project Management TCOM320
This course involves 18 instructional hours and is available only to accepted Technical Communication Certificate students who have completed all other certificate courses.
For online offerings, registration may close up to two business days before the course begins. Your course begins on the first date listed and ends six days after the last date listed. The interim dates/times are not your actual online class times.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course, you will be able to do the following:
- Conceptualize, outline, and create a successful technical communication product
- Create and manage a working documentation plan that includes a schedule and budget
- Complete a peer edit of another student’s product
- Evaluate and address the feedback that you receive on your product
How will I learn?
- Online discussions
- Group activities
- Independent assignments
- Extra reading
How will I be evaluated?
Your grade will be based on the following:
- Document plan (30%)
- Final document (60%)
- Post mortem analysis (10%)
Textbooks and learning materials
All course materials are available online.