Japanese/English Translation Workshop
Are you a freelance translator in North America or Asia? Would you like to be?
SFU's Japanese/English Translation Workshop has been preparing translators for successful careers for more than 10 years.
Our instructor, who has extensive experience in both the classroom and the industry, will guide you through the world of professional translation step by step:
- Get a comprehensive overview of the industry
- Learn essential translation skills, editing techniques, and editing tools
- Learn to transfer meaning between Japanese and English precisely and concisely in official documents, localization and marketing projects, and business-related materials
- Practice translating through weekly in-class and take-home assignments
You will complete the workshop part-time in just 12 weeks. SFU offers the 12-week Japanese/English Translation Workshop twice a year, in April and September. Classes meet on a weekday from 6:30–9 pm once a week. See sample workshop schedule.
This course is available at the following time(s) and location(s):
Who is this translation workshop for?
The Japanese/English Translation Workshop is ideal for bilingual Japanese and English speakers who want to pursue careers as freelance translators in North America. It may also benefit working professionals who translate in business or social settings.
What will I learn?
You'll study a variety of topics:
- Introduction to translation practice
- Contrastive analysis of English and Japanese syntax
- Editing techniques
- Equipment and software that translators use
- The translation market in North America
- How to build a client base
- Pricing and time management for freelance translators
- Professional certification in BC and Canada
How will I learn?
Your class will meet once a week in the evenings and focus on hands-on translation between Japanese and English.
To give you a taste of the industry, your assignments will consist of real translation projects and cover the most popular fields in the market:
- IT and localization
- Health care and medicine
- The environment
All sessions are in English and Japanese. You will work in small groups on in-class assignments and receive immediate feedback from the instructor. You will also complete take-home assignments that include basic translation practice and a final project.
How will I be evaluated?
Your assignments will be evaluated and discussed in class.
Tuition for this translation workshop is C$795 plus application fee.
For the workshop starting in April, the tuition is due March 31, 2015. For the workshop starting in September, the tuition is due September 4, 2015.
To confirm your place, you must pay your tuition in full by the due date.
Please remember that your tuition is non-refundable.
You must submit a non-refundable $45 fee (increasing to $75 for the next program) with your online application.