Liberal Arts and 55+ Program
Introduction to End-of-Life Studies
By 2026 the number of Canadians dying each year will increase by 40 per cent, to 330,000. Yet Canada ranks only 11th in the 2015 Quality of Death Index released by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
Join us over three Saturdays to explore a comprehensive range of end-of-life issues. Taking a multicultural and interdisciplinary perspective, you will develop your understanding of today’s rapidly changing approaches to end of life, integrating insights from the medical, scientific, humanities, spiritual, ethical, legal and social science disciplines.
This workshop is intended for health professionals, spiritual advisors, policy-makers, researchers, educators, gerontologists, social workers, alternative medical practitioners, volunteers, caregivers and anyone else interested in the increasingly complex field of end of life. Regardless of your role, this workshop will enhance your ability to participate in improving the end-of-life experience for Canadians.learn more →
Courses and Events
The liberal arts provide you an opportunity to learn for the joy of learning, enhance your creativity, and sharpen your critical thinking skills. We offer a number of options for adults of any age to discover something new.
Registration for our fall courses is now open.
Mon, 25 Sep 2017 3:00 PM
FLASHPOINT: The Failure of Venezuela's Bolivarian Republic
Wed, 25 Oct 2017 9:30 AM
Writing an Essay for the Liberal Arts Certificate (55+)
Sat, 04 Nov 2017 9:45 AM
End of Life Expo 2017
Sat, 25 Nov 2017 1:30 PM
The Making of a Dictator: Putin’s Rise to Power
Download the brochure
Our program is in the news!
- SFU News: Former instructor and current student Thomas Poiker wins international science prize
- Vancouver Magazine and Ms. Magazine: Read about instructor Roberta Staley's new documentary on Afghanistan women, Mightier Than the Sword
- SFU News: Watch the video of our recent registration day
- Global BC: Meet instructor Robb Lucy from our Sharing Your Legacy Through Digital Storytelling course
- CBC News: Seniors line up for SFU courses in Vancouver
- Students share their experience at SFU:
Prefer to register by mail, fax or in person? Download this registration form.
Support the program
Your gift to the program will help maintain the quality of our offerings and ensure that they remain accessible to everyone. Make your gift today!