Get people talking
Public relations is an exciting field with huge potential for professional growth, but you need a lot more than people and party-planning skills to succeed. PR is about building a company’s reputation by managing communications and liaising with the media—it’s about telling the stories that matter.
Start your new PR career in only nine weeks
SFU’s Public Relations Certificate program will set you apart in the job market with current, hands-on PR training from Vancouver’s industry experts.
You’ll spend six weeks studying PR fundamentals, media relations, social networking, crisis communications, public speaking, business, writing, and more. Then you’ll put it all into practice in a three-week practicum, during which you’ll contribute to real-world PR campaigns and materials.
Nine weeks of PR training at SFU Vancouver or SFU Surrey—and you’ll be ready for the workforce.
Give employers exactly what they want
Many of our students land PR jobs within weeks of graduation.
- SFU’s PR grads are excellent communicators who can produce key pieces like media releases, editorials, speeches, and web copy.
- They know exactly what journalists are looking for and how to get it to them.
- They know how to manage and minimize the impact of a crisis.
- They’re skilled presenters, public speakers, and special events managers.
- They know when and how to use traditional advertising and when to engage with the public through social media.
- They can conduct and use market research to their advantage.
- They can plan and execute a communications strategy.
- They’re current—they know the strategies, tools, and challenges of today’s PR industry.
Is SFU’s Public Relations Certificate for you?
This PR program is ideal if you have some post-secondary education and/or work experience, you enjoy working with people, you write well, and you love a challenge.