Step 2: Apply to graduate
Apply for graduation during the final term you are enrolled at SFU:
- Log into your student account at go.sfu.ca.
- From the menu at top left, expand Self Service
- Under Self Service, select Graduation/Convocation
- Select Apply for Graduation
- Read the instructions, scroll down, and click the Continue button to fill out the online application form.
How do I check my application status?
View your status on go.sfu.ca.
- Applied: Your application has been received. You need to pay the fee.
- Approved: Graduation has been approved by your faculty for recommendation to Senate. It will remain "Approved" for only a few days prior to being "Awarded."
- Awarded: Senate has granted your degree: You may now participate in the upcoming Convocation ceremony and receive your degree parchment. You will receive a letter from Senate confirming the award of your degree.
- Denied: Your application for graduation was not approved by your faculty.
- In Review: Application is under review by your faculty. Status will remain "In Review" until shortly before Senate meets (normally, Senate meets early in September, February and May).
- Pending: Payment has been received and processed – applications will stay in this status until close to the end of the term.
- Withdrawn: Your application for graduation was withdrawn, either at your request or for non-payment of the graduation fee. You may re-apply.
You may cancel your graduation application up until the first day of classes of the term following your final term of enrollment.
- Log into go.sfu.ca
- Choose the Apply for Graduation option out of the other academics pull down menu
- Click continue
- You will see your application status
- Click on cancel my application
- When you have successfully cancelled your application, the graduation fee will be refunded into your account.
What should I do if I haven’t received my Senate letter by two weeks before Convocation?
Confirm your status by checking on go.sfu.ca or call 778.782.6930 (undergraduates) and 778.782.3042 (graduate students).
What if I'm a student with a disability?
If you are a student with a disability and you require assistance at your ceremony please complete the application for convocation assistance . Only certified service/guide animals may accompany students with disabilities to cross the stage.
What should I do if I finished my courses over three terms ago and want to graduate now?
Email Student Records at email@example.com (use Graduation Application as your subject line). They will send you an application form which you should fill out and fax to 778.782.4969.
What should I do if I want to invite friends and family from overseas to my ceremony ?
See the section on friends and family and download the document about inviting them to visit Canada.
You will need to invite your guests as soon as you know when your ceremony will be, so they have plenty of time to apply for the travel documents they will need.