What is the Students for Development Program?
Since its launch in 2005, the Students for Development (SFD) program has been supporting senior-level Canadian university students' participation in internships for a minimum of three months in developing countries and in emerging economies.
Funding for SFU students will be provided to those participating in an internship with a partner organization indicated below. Internships will be focused on food security, health, or education initiatives beneficial to local children and youth.
Who is eligible?
Students must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, enrolled full-time at Simon Fraser University. 3rd year undergraduates to PhD students are eligible.
- University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana
- Institute of Education Development, BRAC University (IED), Bangladesh
- International University of Business Agriculture and Technology (IUBAT), Bangladesh
- Asociación de Instituciones de Promoción y Educación (AIPE), Bolivia
How to Apply
1. Contact the International Co-op Office at email@example.com indicating which above partner organization you are interested in.
2. Complete the application form (listed below) and submit it to:
SFU International Co-op
Maggie Benston Centre 1150
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
Applications accepted for Spring and Summer 2013 Internships - Apply Now!
Before you leave
After you have been approved for SFD funding, please complete the following:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for Bridging International Learning (BIL). This online WebCT course will give you access to required SFU pre-departure documents and other resources. If you are receiving Co-op credit for the semester, please indicate this in your email.
- Review the handbook for Canadian Student Interns (See below under 'Other Resources').
- Application Form (PDF) (Word)
- Pre-Departure Form for Canadian Student Interns (PDF) (Word)
- Handbook for Canadian Student Interns
- Internship Questionnaire for Canadian Student Interns (PDF) (Word)
- Student Intern Financial Reporting Form
For more information, visit the Students for Development Program website.
All funding for the SFD program is provided by CIDA.