Your online application must be completed (with the required documents) in full by February 1 for admission to the program in the Fall of that year.
November 1 to February 1 for a September start.
- All application documents must be submitted by February 1
- Applicants will be informed by the end of March about the status of their application
- Note: We do not confirm that documents are received. Applications are periodically updated as documents are received and applicants are encouraged to check the status via the online system
- Applications have two components: completion of an online application and submission of official transcripts (hard copy, sealed). Please have all official transcripts sent directly to the ALS Graduate Program Assistant - School of Criminology at Simon Fraser University. For mailing address, see below
- An International Credential Evaluation Certificate (Comprehensive), available from the BC Institute of Technology, must also be submitted for transcripts obtained from a non-Canadian educational institution; for more information please visit https://www.bcit.ca/ices/). The BCIT ICES Comprehensive evaluation is the only one that is accepted for students with international degrees looking to apply for admission to the MA-ALS program. Please have all BCIT ICES Comprehensive reports sent directly to the ALS Graduate Program Assistant - School of Criminology at Simon Fraser University. For mailing address, see below
- The online application process can be accessed here
- Statement of Interest (250 words maximum): explain why you are interested in taking the MA-ALS Program
- English language test scores if applicable. For International + English Language Requirements, see: https://www.sfu.ca/gradstudies/apply/applying/english-language.html
- References (3): Ideally these should be individuals who know you in an academic and/or professional capacity
- Referees will receive an email with a link to an online form that they can complete, or they will have the option of uploading a letter in the form of a pdf file. If they are unable to use the online system, they may submit a reference via the address below using this form or by writing on their institutional letterhead. General letter format is acceptable
- Note: the initial part of the online application process must be completed and submitted before requests for references are sent out to referees. Allow sufficient time for referees to complete references before the February 1 deadline
Referees should be made aware of the following: The British Columbia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act allows an applicant to have access to the information contained in his/her letters of reference where that can be done without disclosing the identities of the referees who supply a reference in confidence. It is understood between Simon Fraser University and yourself that the letter of reference is supplied in confidence unless you state otherwise.
Application fees are set by the Dean of Graduate Studies Office and are subject to change every year. The application fee is non-refundable.
- $90 CAN: applicants with Canadian transcripts
- $125 CAN: applications with international transcripts
- There will be 7 days to pay the application fee after the initial submission of the application
- It takes 1-3 business days to process the payment
- Once the application fee is paid and processed you can upload supporting documents (see below)
Supporting Documents (PDF files)
- You must upload an unofficial transcript (scanned, saved, etc.) for each post-secondary institution you have attended when you are uploading documents to your application (Step 3, in your Application Portal). You cannot upload these documents until your application has been submitted, and your application fee has been paid and processed onto your account
- If you receive an offer of admission, you will be required to submit an official transcript for each post-secondary institution. If you have a degree in progress, your offer of admission letter will confirm if that degree must be awarded before you begin your studies at SFU. If the degree must be completed, do not send your official transcript from that institution until your degree is awarded and appearing on your transcript
- Resume (maximum 2 pages)
- If applicable, foreign language test score
- If applicable, a BCIT ICES (Comprehensive) Report
ALS Graduate Program Assistant
School of Criminology
Simon Fraser University
Saywell Hall 101300 – 8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 Canada
For official electronic documents, please send them to the ALS Graduate Program Assistant at email@example.com
Application deadline for the online application and all supporting documentation is February 1. Late applications will not be accepted unless in exceptional circumstances.