Faculty of Applied Sciences Graduate Fellowship
The Faculty of Applied Sciences Graduate Fellowship (FAS-GF) is a one-term award valued at $6,500 (effective Fall 2015). Each FAS-GF is funded on a matching basis: Half of the Fellowship is funded by the Dean of the Faculty of Applied Sciences; the other half, in the form of a research assistantship, is provided by the applicant's senior supervisor.
To be eligible to apply for a FAS-GF, the student must be registered as a full-time, regular, (not "on-leave" or"part-time") student and must normally have a minimum grade point average of 3.50. Applicants should first read the FAS-GF Terms of Reference below to ensure they meet all of the criteria for this award.
Eligible students apply through their department of enrolment by completing the applying through the Graduate Award, Application, and Adjudication System (GA3). It is the student's responsibility to sign it and attach any required documents/transcripts.
Applicants submit the complete FAS-GF application package to their academic supervisor to guarantee FAS-GF matching funds, for further comment and their signature.
Once these steps have been completed, the FAS-GF application and accompanying documents must be submitted by the departmental deadline to the Graduate Program Assistant/Secretary in the department of enrolment.
Terms of Reference
- The Faculty of Applied Sciences Dean's Fund Graduate Fellowship (FAS-GF) is a merit-based award valued at $6,500 (effective Fall 2015).
- This fellowship is available strictly on a matching funds basis: half of the fellowship will come from the Dean's Fund and the other half, in the form of a research assistantship, from the thesis supervisor.
- To be eligible to hold a Faculty of Applied Sciences Dean's Fund Graduate Fellowship, a student must be registered as a full-time, regular (not "on leave" or "part-time") student, and should normally have a firstclass (>3.5) grade point average. However, good standing in research ability may outweigh the grade point average criterion. A student may not be recommended for a FAS-GF while carrying a deferred grade.
- Each school will advise applicants of the criteria of academic merit, based on grades, research ability and progress.
- Recipients of the Faculty of Applied Sciences Dean's Fund Graduate Fellowship may accept scholarship support from other sources, but the total value of the support (external scholarships, internal scholarships and research assistantships) should not exceed $50,000 per year.
- There is no restriction on FAS-GF recipients receiving income for other work during the tenure of the FAS-GF, except as noted in Point 5. Recipients should be aware that some external awards may restrict students from holding a FAS-GF at the same time as the external award.
- Students will normally be eligible to receive FAS-GF support during the first nine (9) semesters of a Master's program and during the first fifteen (15) semesters of a Ph.D. program. (Where a student transfers from a Master's program directly into a Ph.D. program, the first term registered in the Ph.D. program will be used to determine eligibility.)
- Applicants may apply for and be recommended for one semester of support in each academic year (commencing in the Fall academic term).
- Awards are made by the Senate Awards Adjudication Committee on the recommendation of each School’s Graduate Program Committee.
- Application is made on the Graduate Award, Application, and Adjudication System (GA3).
Revised: April 2015