Research Award for Women in Applied Sciences
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this award is to recognize and provide financial support for a female undergraduate student who is a current recipient of an NSERC USRA or VPR USRA and will be conducting research and working in the lab of Dr. Carolyn Sparrey or her successor.
- One or more awards, valued at a minimum of $1,250 will be awarded annually. Multiple awards can be given in any particular year upon approval of the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences.
- Eligible students will:
- be a current recipient of an NSERC USRA or a VPR USRA; and
- be accepted to work in a research lab program supervised by Dr. Carolyn Sparrey or her successor
- Preference will be given to female students.
- Students must provide the following supporting documentation to the office of the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences to be eligible:
- a copy of the USRA application and USRA award offer letter
- a letter of support from Dr. Sparrey or her successor
- Students must be nominated for the award by the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences upon the recommendation of Dr. Carolyn Sparrey or her successor. Eligible student recipients will be selected based on their NSERC USRA and/or VPR USRA applications and fulfillment of the criteria listed in point 3.
- The completed nomination including a nomination letter of support from the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences, and all supporting documentation must be received by the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows. If necessary, verification of Dr. Sparrey's successor must be provided to the Office of Graduate Studies & Postdoctoral Fellows by the Faculty of Applied Sciences.
- If a suitable candidate is not identified, the award may be awarded in a subsequent year.
- The award will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies, on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, on the nomination of the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences.
Revised: October 2015 / UUSO107