Jim Babcock Fellowship in Graduate Liberal Studies
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this award is to recognize and provide financial support to one or two Ph.D. students whose research focus is within liberal studies.
- One fellowship, valued at a minimum of $20,000, or two fellowships, valued at a minimum of $10,000 each, will be granted annually to a student(s) who fulfills the following criteria:
- has demonstrated academic excellence at the graduate level;
- is registered at Simon Fraser University as a Ph.D. student and whose research focus is within liberal studies; and
- has demonstrated a commitment to the Graduate Liberal Studies Program objective "to foster progressive discourse and innovative thought while creating a community of engaged citizens".
- This fellowship may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Applications will be made via the Graduate Fellowship, Application and Adjudication System (GA3). Required documents include:
- copies of post-secondary transcripts;
- one letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's work; and
- a one-page letter describing how their participation in the Graduate Liberal Studies program will impact their careers, personal lives, and the greater community.
- If a suitable candidate is not identified, the fellowship may be disbursed in a subsequent term or year.
- The fellowship will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, upon the nomination of the Director, Graduate Liberal Studies.
Revised: July 2016 / GESR213