Craig Newell Memorial Mathematics Education Scholarship
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this fellowship is to provide financial support for graduate students at Simon Fraser University who are pursuing, or intend to pursue, a graduate degree in mathematics education. Preference will be given to a graduate student who is using philosophical approaches to engage new ways of thinking that are of practical relevance for improving the teaching and learning of mathematics.
- The value of the Craig Newell Memorial Mathematics Education Scholarship will be equal to the income generated from the endowment each year.
- The criteria for this award are:
- registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program in the Faculty of Education
- demonstrated academic excellence at the undergraduate and the graduate level if applicable
- indication of interest in issues related to mathematics teaching and learning
- promise of outstanding achievement with particular emphasis on research ability and originality
- This award may be held in any term in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Students will be nominated for this award by the Director, Graduate Programs, Faculty of Education. Nomination is made on the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) and must be accompanied by:
- nomination letter describing the academic merits and potential of the nominee
- copies of all post secondary transcripts
- a concise outline of the intended program of studies
- The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies, on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, based upon the nomination of the Director of Graduate Programs in the Faculty of Education.
Revised: November 2019 / GESR169