Dr. M. Sheila O'Connell Graduate Publication Scholarship
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this award is to provide financial support for a graduate student pursuing a degree with a concentration on Children's Literature within the Faculty of Education or the Department of English, and working toward publication of a piece of children's literature.
- The criteria for this award are:
- registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program in the Department of English or the Faculty of Education
- concentration on the field of Children's Literature and an intent to publish a piece of children's literature
- demonstrated academic excellence at the undergraduate level, and, if applicable, at the graduate level
- This award may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Application is made on the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) and must be accompanied by:
- copies of all post-secondary transcripts
- a concise outline of the proposed or actual program of studies
- one letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's recent work
- a proposal outlining the piece of children's literature and at least one short sample of the applicant's writing or a portfolio piece for children
- The completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the department of enrolment.
- The Faculty of Education and the Department of English will forward all applications to the office of the Dean of Graduate Studies, and may each make no more than one positive recommendation for the award.
- The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
Revised: April 2015 / GESR073