Philosophy Graduate Research Award
Terms of Reference
The purpose of the Philosophy Graduate Research Award is to provide financial support to a graduate student in the Department of Philosophy at either the doctoral or masters level.
- The Philosophy Graduate Research Essay Award is a one-time award valued at a portion of the earned income from the endowment.
- The criteria for this award are:
- To be eligible to receive the award payment, students must be registered in a graduate program in the Department of Philosophy. Graduates of a graduate program in Philosophy within two terms after their graduation date are also eligible.
- Must have written an excellent philosophical essay which demonstrates intellectual ability, originality and ability in research during the course of their graduate program in the Department of Philosophy
- Any faculty member in the Philosophy Department can nominate a graduate student for this award. The award recipient will be selected by the Philosophy Department Awards Committee.
- This award may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- This award is by nomination. The nomination is made on the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) and must be accompanied by:
- a current, unofficial SFU transcript
- a copy of the selected essay
- The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, upon the recommendation of the Chair of the Department of Philosophy.
Revised: August 2015/ GESR173