Weston Family Scholarship
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this award is to provide financial support to a graduate student pursuing science-based educational research and/or development activities that support or enhance the aquaculture and/or commercial wild fisheries industries in Canada.
- The Weston Family Scholarship is paid over two terms, which is normally in the Fall & Spring terms.
- The criteria for this award are:
- registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program in the department of Biological Science or Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, with preference given to those pursuing science-based educational research and/or development activities that support or enhance the aquaculture and/or commercial wild fisheries industries in Canada.
- demonstrated academic excellence at the undergraduate level and, if applicable, at the graduate level
- promise of outstanding achievement at the graduate level with particular emphasis on intellectual ability and originality.
- This award may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Application is made on the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) and must be accompanied by:
- copies of all post secondary transcripts
- one letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's academic achievements and experience in marine sciences
- a concise outline of the proposed or actual program of studies
- The completed application and all supporting documents will be forwarded to the Faculty of Science for selection.
- The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the Dean of Science on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
- The recipient of this award is expected to submit an online Award Recipient Profile Form to the Garfield Weston Foundation after accepting the award.
Revised: August2017 GESR112