Travel and Research Awards
CGS-Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement (MSFSS)
This travel award opportunity is provided by the TriCouncil granting agencies to holders of Joseph-Armand Bombardier, Alexander Graham Bell or Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the master’s or doctoral level, or a Vanier CGS at the doctoral level. The award is valued up to $6,000 based on the information and budget justification provided in the application. The related research study period must be between three to six months.
Where to Start
To be eligible to apply for this program, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada by the application deadline;
- be registered at an eligible Canadian institution at the time of application;
- undertake your proposed trip abroad no earlier than the competition deadline date (usually early June and early October);
- not hold or have held any other CGS-MSFSS during the course of your graduate studies;
To remain eligible during the research study period abroad, you must:
- hold an active CGS at the time your research study period abroad starts;
- be registered full-time in a graduate research studies program at a Canadian institution for the duration of your research study period abroad;
- take up the award within one year of receiving the notice of award for the CGS-MSFSS;
- return to complete your degree at your Canadian institution.
The CGS-MSFSS Program description, application form and instructions is available here.
About the Host Supervisor Letter
The supporting letter from your host supervisor should confirm:
- their affiliation and employment with the host institution/host destination;
- how they became your choice for a host supervisor;
- how their research is related or overlaps with yours;
- why they agreed to the research travel (is it beneficial for their group/lab/current research? Is it beneficial for a publication? to a larger group?);
- their committment to you (supervisory time, university resources and access to those resources);
The deadline to submit your printed application and supporting documention to the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows is: June 1st and October 1st every year. When this deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the next business day.
At a Glance
Michael Smith Foreign Travel Supplement (MSFSS)
Amount: up to $6,000
Tenure: 1 semester
Apply to the Office of Graduate Studies & Postdoctoral Fellows