Travel and Research Awards
The Northern Scientific Training Program provides supplementary support to offset the additional costs of northern research (i.e. transportation costs, living costs, shipping costs and interpreter fees).NSTP terms of reference and eligibility criteria are set by the NSTP Management Committee of Polar Knowledge Canada. Students apply online and applications are reviewed internally by SFU’s University Northern Studies committee prior to being sent to NSTP for approval.
- Students are eligible for consideration if they are:
- doing field research in Northern Canada or northern regions of other circumpolar countries (see below for definitions)
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- enrolled in a graduate program at SFU; or
- a third year undergraduate student who intends to undertake an honor's thesis based on northern field work.
Definition of the North
For the purposes of this program, the term `North` is understood to include the part of Canada which lies north of the southern limit of the discontinuous permafrost zone in Canada (arctic and subarctic):
The ‘Circumpolar North” refers to the eight countries of the Arctic Council (Canada, Finland, Greenland [Denmark], Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and the United States [Alaska]).
- Refer to page 13 of the guide
How to Apply | Deadline November 8th, 2018
Interested students should:
- read through the student section of the NSTP Guide carefully
- complete and submit the full application online by November 8th. Note that the application does have a supervisory portion that needs to be completed prior to submission.
Use the following as a guide for eligible expenses/budgeting purposes. Note that there is no budget required within the application form, but the University Northern Studies committee may require an explanation of your request. The maximum NSTP supplement is $4,000.
|Category||NSTP Notes||Budget Range|
|Travel||Cost of one return trip, Airfare as economy only||Estimate Ground transportation at $0.40/KM|
|Meals/Per Diem||Eligible||Estimate $40/person/day|
|Cost of Assistant||Not Eligible|
|Field Supplies||Not Eligible|
|Field Training||Not Eligible|
|Research License Application Fee||Not Eligible|