Travel and Research Awards
Travel and Minor Research Awards
Travel and Minor Research Awards are primarily intended to support the travel component of the scholarly activity of graduate students related to their research. Graduate programs are encouraged to promote and enhance their students' graduate experience by supporting their attendance and active participation in conferences in their field of study through the use of these funds. Direct costs of doing research may also be supported.
Funds for Travel and Minor Research Awards have been allocated to each graduate program for internal administration. Interested applicants should read the Terms of Reference to ensure they are eligible. This is a merit-based award and students typically need a 3.50 or higher CGPA to be eligible to receive this.
Eligible students should contact their graduate program to confirm the application process and deadline dates. Departments may request students to apply using the Graduate Award, Application, and Adjudication System (GA3).
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of the Travel and Minor Research Awards is to support the travel component of the scholarly activity of graduate students related to their research.
- To be eligible for this award, the following two criteria must be met:
- Student is enroled in a graduate program at Simon Fraser University;
- Student must travel to a conference to either present research, travel to attend a conference, or travel to conduct research
- Only travel to conferences and travel to conduct research are eligible for support. Travel as part of a student’s degree program, such as to participate in a practicum or internship or travel to attend job fairs and/or interviews, are not eligible.
- Application may be made on the Graduate Award, Application, and Adjudication System (GA3). The completed form should be submitted with:
- current, unofficial transcript
- letter of acceptance from the conference organizer (if presenting a research paper/poster) or letter from the student explaining the purpose and relevance of travel
- The completed application and supporting documentation must be submitted to the graduate school/department of enrolment by the internal deadline date set by the department/school.
- Awards are made by the recommendation of the chair of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee on the recommendation of the Graduate Program Chair.
- Awards may be paid before or after travel takes place. The student must be registered in their graduate program in the term they receive payment.
- In the event of travel cancellation after the travel award has been paid, the student must inform the graduate department/school of enrolment and the award will have to be reimbursed to the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows.
Revised: April 2015
See also: Faculty of Communication Art and Technology Graduate Travel Awards (administered by FCAT)