Faculty of Science Undergraduate Student Research Award
Terms of Reference
- The Faculty of Science Undergraduate Student Research Award is intended to recognize and provide financial assistance to outstanding undergraduate students in the Faculty of Science who will be carrying out research projects under the supervision of a faculty member in the Faculty of Science at Simon Fraser University. The goal of the award is to allow undergraduate students the oppportunity to obtain research experience with SFU research faculty.
- The Faculty of Science Undergraduate Student Research Award is funding derived from two sources: the annual spending allocation from the Faculty of Science Student Research Award Endowment at a minimum of $4,500, and a faculty supplement from the successful student's supervisor in the selected department necessary to keep this award value consistent with SFU VPR USRAs and NSERC USRA.
- One or more research awards will be granted each year in any term to an SFU undergraduate student who, at the time of application, fulfills the following criteria:
- is enrolled full-time in a bachelor's degree program in the Faculty of Science;
- has completed all of the course requirements of at least the first year of university study;
- has maintained, over the previous year of study, a minimum 2.67 CGPA;
- had held two or less undergraduate student research awards (including NSERC USRAs); and
- has not started a program of graduate studies.
- To apply for this award, a student and proposed supervisor must complete the Undergraduate Research Award application from the department offering the award that year.
- The award will be rotated among all all Faculty of Science departments, with one department offering the award each year. If there are no eligible students in the selected department in a given year, the award will be granted to a student in the department next on the rotation. The rotation schedule for this award will be: Chemistry, Biomedial Physiology & Kinesiology, Biological Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Earth Sciences, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, Statistics & Actuarial Sciences.
- The research award will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication committee, upon the nomination of the Chair of the selected department in the Faculty of Science.
Revised: March 2017 / UUSO109